T5 rebuild or piece it together?

Jeffncs

I have 2 T5 transmissions... one has broken gears, other has a broken blocker ring.

Is it a viable option to pull the good blocker ring from the one trans and move it into the other and call it good? Or am I looking for trouble?

My goal is to get this thing in the road relatively inexpensively until I can do the AX15 swap over the winter. I just want to run it for a few months then take it apart again for a winter project....

In the event that anyone is wondering (and you may not!)... I took apart the broken gear transmission Saturday as practice and retrieved the blocker rings from it.

Starting fresh on Sunday, I slowly disassembled the “better” trans after spraying out the housing and gears with brake cleaner. I wanted to make sure no additional surprises purged hidden under gunk!

Surprisingly, the effort was relatively smooth with only issues coming from making sure the shifter forks were running correctly after installing the top cover plate.

Long story short - I was very intimidated by the job from the outset, but couldn’t swing the $900-$1500 to have a shop do the job. After reading a couple manuals and watching YouTube, I cove in and found it wasn’t nearly as bad as I thought!! It tests out fine on the bench - shifter works through all the gears and the clusters spin smoothly and as expected!

I’m pulling a 4.0 out of a 94 YJ Saturday, so the real test is a few weeks out yet...

Last edited:
My T5 grenaded third on my way to work one morning. I just AX15 swapped it and called it done. No need spending money and time on a T5

Starts here:
'82 Jeep Scrambler Daily Driver

The 4.0 I’m getting Saturday comes with an AX15. I just wanted to do the min work to get it running for the fall. I’ll install the AX15 over the winter when I have more time... the T5 and all hardware will bolt right up vs having to contend with addl expenses and more custom retrofitting work.

Back