Synthetic Winch Rope Replacement

Dawnpatrol

Jesse Higgins
Maybe it's just late and I'm overthinking this, but what is the proper way to secure the rope to the drum? I'm replacing the steel cable on a superwinch with synthetic rope. The steel cable used a small set screw. The synthetic rope came with a large cable lug.
IMG_20200622_204810.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Maybe it's just late and I'm overthinking this, but what is the proper way to secure the rope to the drum? I'm replacing the steel cable on a superwinch with synthetic rope. The steel cable used a small set screw. The synthetic rope came with a large cable lug.View attachment 320490

Yep bolt it down and start spooling it. Keep 5 wraps minimum on drum when using.

I think mine is taped on, but I can’t remember. I do remember the lug on the end was different enough from the wire rope that I cut it off, but can’t remember the next step.

You can put a clove hitch on it, if you want. You just need a way to hold the end in one place until the first few wraps are on.

The one I installed the other weekend wasn't even crimped, it was just heat shrieked to the rope!
That must have been a lot of screaming.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. Looks like there is multiple right ways, the key being it just needs to hold for the first few loops. I grabbed a 8 mm bolt and got it on there.

Back