Swapping Auto to Manual Trans in TJ

ncsutj

What all is involved to swap an auto transmission for a manual in a TJ with a 4.0l?

What year?

Usually just an ECM swap and all of the pedals. Drivetrain length will likely be different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drivetrain harness might be a little different, too. You'd have to check on the reverse switch vs NSS, make sure the plugs are the same, etc.

Well it looks like it's not going to matter anyway. Can't get the person to respond back.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

It sounded like he wanted to upgrade his Jeep, not slow it down :flipoff2:

I'm not following. Swapping in a non-OD trans makes no sense, IMO. And might as well use one that will last.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I'm not following. Swapping in a non-OD trans makes no sense, IMO. And might as well use one that will last.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Oh shoot. The thread title was misleading. Well Josh has a 700r4 in his 4.0 TJ. Sounded like it cost a pretty penny though.

FWIW I have come full circle with auto to manual swap. Bought the Jeep with a 700R4. Blew it up in college trophy trucking it on the old service road wheeling that was right by UNCC off Mallard Creek. Went through a couple $70 pick and pull transmissions (last one didn't set the TV cable properly). The swapped in an NV3500. Great for street driving, but the first wasn't low enough for control wheeling. Started to sound like a box of rocks. So I pulled it and cracked the case open. The nose of the counter shaft had a bunch of pitting where the bearing rides. Found a NV4500 and swapped it in. Granny low was awesome offroad. However, the gap between gears when needing wheel speed was too much for the most part. It also shifted like a truck transmission on the street. You weren't going to be banging gears with it. So now I'm back to a built 700r4 and a winters shifter with a rock gate pattern. I think its auto from here on out with a wheeling rig. Hopefully this helps.

Back