Super Pissed at the Z71 - Cylinders 7 & 5 not firing

I wouldn't worry about the cylinder with 170 PSI on compression and it seemingly leaking air into the crankcase. 170 PSI is good to go.

Aight, cool, wasn't sure.

Pull the head on the one with no compression and if you are real lucky all you have is a bent valve. Take it to your friendly machine shop and have them fix it. Put the head back on and drive the damn thing. With a little more work, and maybe the cost of another gasket or two, you could pull the other head and confirm that bank is ok.

Thats what I figured its just a messed up intake valve, any idea what it costs to have a machine shop fix the valves?

I really don't understand not wanting to fix the motor now (somehow) yet you are willing to spend money on tires and 'just drive the wee outta it till it blows good' If you don't want to put the money in to it now to fix it are you going to be prepared to maybe spend a lot more a couple of months from now? Doesn't sound like it.

Well I did mention doin something about the valves at least but I was more talking on the lines of I'm not willing to drop in a whole nother motor like everyone elses seems so adament about. And I wouldn't be spending any $$ on tires I already have big tires. My train of thought is more along the lines of not trying to keep my truck as a Tow rig DD, just not really a good idea, at this point id rather just keep it as a toy and just wait a year, year and a half to start makign payments on a new actual tow rig with a warranty, rather than throw several thousand dollars at my rig and still only have a marginal tow rig thats probably gonna break in two weeks again anyway.

If you want to know more about what shape the cylinders, valve, rings, etc are in do a leak down test.
Sounds like a simple problem with hopefully a simple fix to me though.

I will probably do that, then get the valve fixed or slap some good working heads on so that it at least runs well, but hang the hat on trying to use the Z71 as a DD anymore its just not worth it $$ wise, and just jack her up and use her as my random putt around town in Huge truck as well as my Jeep.

haha ricky i know u dont wanna give up dunkin you heep into the deep mud.... but i also know mall krawlin is top of hte list too

do what you really want and if thats drivin around town, and hittin the mud so be it.... but id try to get that issue taken care of either way...

Is this thread really all the way here and the heads still on the block? Ricky, pull the damn heads already. Shit my 6.5 TD blew both head gaskets and it was running less than 7 days later and that is because I had to get it towed and do the work between classes and work. Clicking your mouse and typing replys here won't fix it for you.

This is a lot of what if's and might be's for something as simple as pulling two heads loose. You keep saying you like wrenching. Well get to it.

Wait a min . . . I never said I like wrenching, if I had the money I would never touch my junk, all I do is fix broke stuff :shaking:

The reason I havn't pulled the motor apart is cause I don't have any money to fix it with right now, and I don't wanna pull it apart and just have it sittin around till I'm ready to actually fix it, at least it'll still drive around under its own power for now, I'm DD'in the 81 Chevy but I still drive the Z71 a little bit when I have to.

if your in raleigh, take the head to loop road machine shop in garner, they're very reasonable and work on chevy stuff all the time, i think i got both my heads redone for 300. that was w/ new guides and everything

if your in raleigh, take the head to loop road machine shop in garner, they're very reasonable and work on chevy stuff all the time, i think i got both my heads redone for 300. that was w/ new guides and everything

Cool, thanks, I was thinkin bout goin there or maybe taking it to the Carquest machine right shop down the road cause I can get a little bit of a discount there and have heard good things about there work.

Found out the price for that motor for you today.
Prolly a lil outta your range for $1200 but like i said it comes with everything you need and its only got 40k miles.
Figured Id still let you know though Ricky.

Preciate it man, but yea thats a litte much for what I'm looking for

At this point since I know the heads are bad and am almost 100% sure the cam is as well and was the cause of the heads going bad I'm just gonna yank the heads off the Vortec truck I have, and do a cam, intake, and chip as well and should come in at about 800 bucks with a good bit of extra power to boot :driver:

vortec 5.7

Hi, I'm the guy that has the Vortec motor that bcaammons is talking about. If you want the motor I will take $800.00 if you take it out. It is sitting in a YJ now and is just bolted down not hooked up. It also has a set of Headman shortie headers that go with it. I have the complete wiring harness, Fuel tank, and air box. Give me a call if you want it. Otherwise I am going to list the whole jeep. Thanks John Hoke (919)-291-6836

Back