Storage Solution for Truck

Discussion in 'General Chit Chat' started by JSJJ388, Jan 16, 2020 at 2:56 PM.

1. JSJJ388

JSJJ388 GREEN GREMLIN

I finally got my Dakota back on the road, but it seems I overlooked a slight problem... My gear bag for the FD takes up most of the bench seat. I need a secure way to store it. That stuff aint cheap, so I need something that somebody cant just take off with. Am I pretty much stuck with a camper shell? Or is there another option? Needs to be pretty water tight as well. Ive already had one cheap tool box stolen out of the truck several years ago, and that cant happen. Im not afraid to drill through the bed if needed.

2. awheelterd

awheelterd Well-Known Member

Leave the gear at the fd where it belongs and ride a fire truck to calls? No one likes the perpetual pov responder.

benmack1, GotWood, jeepinmatt and 2 others like this.
  3. RatLabGuy

RatLabGuy You look like a monkey and smell like one too

Why not get a locking bed box?

a_kelley and JSJJ388 like this.
  4. jeepinmatt

jeepinmatt Still Fat

I assume it is too large for a swingcase. I have one in my truck and it's great for straps/hitches/tools and all the smaller miscellaneous crap I don't want rolling around the bed. Next option would be Decked or a similar bottom of the bed drawer system.

5. JSJJ388

JSJJ388 GREEN GREMLIN

Our SOP is to respond POV, as is all our local depts. Trucks only have 2 seats, which wouldnt be much of a turnout on a working fire.

Now, I am all for ordering our new trucks custom cab, but I aint holding my breath.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020 at 4:14 PM
  6. JSJJ388

JSJJ388 GREEN GREMLIN

Thats what Im looking for. Just looking for what some good ones are.

Yea, way too big. Looking at a 35 gal action packer and bolt it to the bed with steel plates both sides.

7. CLRracer

CLRracer Mopar Nut

I would get on craigslist or marketplace and find a cheap chest style truck tool box and bolt it to the bed floor before I got an action packer and tried to secure it. And I'm sure this doesn't need to be said but I'm saying it anyway: make sure your gear is CLEAN and DRY before storing it in the tool box.

Duane

JSJJ388 likes this.
  8. orange150

orange150 Well-Known Member

9. cufor98

cufor98 Well-Known Member

JOBOX

or some commercial bed drawers?

a_kelley likes this.
  10. kaiser715

kaiser715 Doing hard time

My next cover will be a diamondback. Seen one in person, they are nice. HD model is strong enough to carry stuff on top of it.

Heavy Duty Hard Tonneau Covers

Drunktaco and JSJJ388 like this.
  11. RatLabGuy

RatLabGuy You look like a monkey and smell like one too

JSJJ388 likes this.
  12. awheelterd

awheelterd Well-Known Member

Who drives the trucks then?

Yall gonna look mighty silly one day when you're all standing there with your dicks in your hands cause nobody remembered to bring a fire truck!

Ron, benmack1, jeepinmatt and 3 others like this.
  13. JSJJ388

JSJJ388 GREEN GREMLIN

We have certified driver/operators (I'm working on mine) who are signed off to drive. Its definitely not the best system, but not a lot I can do about it. Our first out engine is coming up on its 20 years, so I'm really hoping we can change things.

jeepinmatt likes this.
  14. GotWood

GotWood Sayer of Fact

Engineer sucks. You don't get to play in the fire because you're babysitting the damn truck. The advantage though is on the cold rainy nights I stayin the truck!

kaiser715 and JSJJ388 like this.
  15. CLRracer

CLRracer Mopar Nut

Don't mind @awheelterd, it wasn't that long ago when his local departments operated the same way ;). Just wait until y'all quit voting for positions, you'll really think you're in high cotton then!

Duane

JSJJ388 likes this.
  16. CLRracer

CLRracer Mopar Nut

It's the best job in the fire service, especially if you go career.

Duane

GotWood and JSJJ388 like this.
  17. JSJJ388

JSJJ388 GREEN GREMLIN

I am shooting for engineer. I love playing in the fire, but I also love the challenge of running a pump. I've already got my EVD, now I need a pumps class. My mentor is one of our engineers.

18. frankenyoter

frankenyoter No Rain, No Rainbow

Another vote for a job box. Bolt that sucker into the bed. They are designed to be difficult to break into and way more beef than a standard tool box

JSJJ388 likes this.
  19. jeepinmatt

jeepinmatt Still Fat

Another good option is one of the folding or rolling tonneau covers. I have a BAK Revolver on my truck and I really like it. Its not 100% dry, but I'd say about 97-98%. The rear corners let in a little bit of water around the tailgate. This idea is only useful if you have a lockable tailgate though. One big advantage is that you don't have a huge box taking up your bed if you need to put something in there.

a_kelley, JSJJ388 and No fries like this.
  20. benmack1

benmack1 Well-Known Member

Get a car, they have these things called trunks.....

21. GotWood

GotWood Sayer of Fact

Yea, I'll be relocated to full time engineer in February. I'm kinda sad about it though.

JSJJ388 likes this.
  22. CasterTroy

CasterTroy Motarded

Joel I have a black (surprise) aluminum truck toolbox from tractor supply for a full size truck I'm not using. I had it on the tongue of my trailer but the outriggers on my truck camper hit it.
    It locks. I have a key. But a crackhead could Jimmy it open with a good bump. If you want it, help me pull it out of the top shelf of my conex and its yours

a_kelley and JSJJ388 like this.
  23. JSJJ388

JSJJ388 GREEN GREMLIN

Had one, it died. Will probably get another but not in the budget right now. I need a truck, and right now we cant afford another car. Plus, the quiet engine and no wind noise is just boring. I like all the rattling and clanking and racket my old straight piped piece-o-junk makes!

benmack1 likes this.
  24. JSJJ388

JSJJ388 GREEN GREMLIN

PM inbound.