Stock market

Negative.
Traders have written very precise and complex algorithms to trigger trade activity on the Wall St floor. Historically you've seen the image of traders waving bid sheets and sell sheets in the air while screaming, today this is all done with clicks, well at least theoretically. In fact its all being done by script coding.

Well if you and I are both competing traders and we both want NC4x4 stock at 99.99 and its trending that way, the minute it hits 99.99 it has a certain volume of availability. So the race is to see whose computer gets the order in first.

The less trusting look at HUGE hedge and mutual funds and wonder why a particular stock is bought and sold dozens of times per day at varying quantities. Market movement the experts say. But if my machine can generate a sell and a buy that is 2 transactions the manager gets paid for without materially changing the composition of the fund at all.

This practice will create the next false floor run. It is coming. I just dont know when. Hence I dont invest long term in the market.

My FIL is a big believer in market manipulation by hedge fund managers. I agree it probably happens to some extent. I have to plan for retirement, and the stock market is the thing i understand the best right now.

Hence I dont invest long term in the market.

You can put your IRA money in mutual funds that have never had a bad ten year run. Mutual fund companies that are big enough to play the game for you.

The way the system works, you don't have many other options for your qualified retirement monies.

As bad as 2008 was it only took two years for good funds to recover. That was our hundred year storm.

I don't think we are in for a correction here. I believe this is just normal volatility.

Just like a sale at Belks. Everything is on sale. Buy!

I bought a new motorhome about a month ago. I realized something today....a "depreciating asset" -- the RV -- is outperforming the stock market so far. :eek:

This crap is hurting my 401k. 50% of mine is in secure government securities (G fund). 25% is in a large cap mutual fund that mirrors the S&P 500 (C fund). 25% is in a small cap mutual fund that mirrors the Dow Completion Index (S fund).

So far this week, I have lost about 3% of my retirement. Debating on moving all to the G fund or ride it out and hope for a rebound. I dont want to sell low. This sucks.

The G fund cant lose, but it only returns about 2%. The others that I am in can have some massive returns (or massive loses).

2015 returns G 2.04%, C 1.46%, S -2.92%
2014 returns G 2.31%, C 13.78%, S 7.80%
2013 returns G 1.89%, C 32.45%, S 38.85%
2012 returns G 1.47%, C 16.07%, S 18.57%

Last edited:
This crap is hurting my 401k. 50% of mine is in secure government securities (G fund). 25% is in a large cap mutual fund that mirrors the S&P 500. 25% is in a small cap mutual fund that mirrors the Dow Completion Index.

So far this week, I have lost about 3% of my retirement. Debating on moving all to the G fund or ride it out and hope for a rebound. I dont want to sell low. This sucks.

The G fund cant lose, but it only returns about 2%. The others that I am in can have some massive returns (or massive loses).

Don't do anything. Don't even look at your account.

I heard this one time, and I think it applies to most. An investment account is like a bar of soap. The more you touch it, the smaller it gets, LOL.

Don't do anything. Don't even look at your account.

I heard this one time, and I think it applies to most. An investment account is like a bar of soap. The more you touch it, the smaller it gets, LOL.

That is the buy and hold strategy. Yes, you can still make some $$ in the long run. However, if you play with it, you can really beat the percentages. I lurk on a forum that is only people in my same 401K (US Gov Thrift savings plan). Most of them move in and out of the G fund between the C or S funds based on market timing. They have some massive returns that are way over the fund averages.

That is the buy and hold strategy. Yes, you can still make some $$ in the long run. However, if you play with it, you can really beat the percentages. I lurk on a forum that is only people in my same 401K (US Gov Thrift savings plan). Most of them move in and out of the G fund between the C or S funds based on market timing. They have some massive returns that are way over the fund averages.

I agree, I buy low and sell high timing the market, but now is not the time to sell. Should have sold on Dec 1st/2nd, but I did not see this drop happening so I will ride it out and try and catch the next one.

I agree, I buy low and sell high timing the market, but now is not the time to sell. Should have sold on Dec 1st/2nd, but I did not see this drop happening so I will ride it out and try and catch the next one.

That is why I am debating holding or selling. If I was a chicken little, I would have already done my IFT this morning with todays pre market futures. I have a very small gut feeling that there will be a small rally. The averages are 5% down for the year so far. I think people will buy and it will pick back up. The volatility from 2015 scares me. Hopefully I can ride it back up and jump into the G fund. Some are saying we are about to drop back into a recession. I dont think it will be as bad as 2008, but I would be more happy with a 2% return than any loss.

That is why I am debating holding or selling. If I was a chicken little, I would have already done my IFT this morning with todays pre market futures. I have a very small gut feeling that there will be a small rally. The averages are 5% down for the year so far. I think people will buy and it will pick back up. The volatility from 2015 scares me. Hopefully I can ride it back up and jump into the G fund. Some are saying we are about to drop back into a recession. I dont think it will be as bad as 2008, but I would be more happy with a 2% return than any loss.

There are always people out there preaching doom and gloom. More people seem to believe we are still in a bull market.

awww.tsptalk.com_images_010716a.gif

awww.tsptalk.com_images_010716b.gif

I am heavily invested in S-fund... sigh.
Luckily I've got another 20+ years to worry about retirement so I'm just letting it ride for now.

Futures are up this morning. The pullback could be over.

Bah! No worries. Once Hillary is sworn in everything will be free, we can all retire early.

Bah! No worries. Once Hillary is sworn in everything will be free, we can all retire early.
No way Obama will let that happen. 4 more years!

Yeah, China suspended their circuit breaker policy and had a rally last night. Today will be interesting.

Yup, and now the jobs report was much better than expected. I think we will rally back up from here.

Yup, and now the jobs report was much better than expected. I think we will rally back up from here.

no way, gonna be a full 20% correction. This is the real correction happening now I think, what we saw last fall wasn't the 'correction'. But I'll admit, I don't know dick about this stuff so with some luck I am full of shit.

no way, gonna be a full 20% correction. This is the real correction happening now I think, what we saw last fall wasn't the 'correction'. But I'll admit, I don't know dick about this stuff so with some luck I am full of shit.

Hey! Negative Ned - take it easy there pal. Who pissed in your cornflakes today? I thought it was all gummy bears and unicorns looking through your rose colored glasses.

Back