Stock market

I read that as they’re just spinning the context of what’s already being done with a favorable connotation. ‘Gender and racial equality’...read affirmative action. Invest in the community...read manufactured in China but now assembled in America. Political influence...read donations.
Thinking more about this on the way in to work today, it occurred to me it could also be a way of them to stay ahead of what they see as inevitable upcoming declines in performance due to recession, slowdown, etc/whatever.
"Yes, I know profits are down, and the future is bleak, but hey, look, we're investing in our people! Even though you're not getting cash.... you're getting the feel-good of knowing you're supporting a community and your country..."
E.g. soften up the shareholders now so they won't punch so hard later

Stock are back up, sales are up, interest is down, unemployment is down. We seem to be better off than the rest of the World. But, we do need to make changes within the next two years. Goberment will also be a Trillion in debt before two more years!

That's actually not true. Go back and look at 2015-2016.
"Nearly" a decade must mean 3-4 years in the world of relative truth :shaking:

Then there's this "Opinion/Facts" in today's paper. There will be a market correction & recession, in the next 2 years. it's "Business Cycle". Question is Who do you in Office making Policy? 1971, Nixon floated the dollar, imposes 10% tariffs on imports, & lowered the interest rates, to drive down the dollar, to goose the economy, for Re-election. [Sound familiar?] Result was Stagflation, over a decade, 14% Inflation, & the 73-75 recession. History rhymes, & repeats.
I was a teenager then & only thing I remember is being limited to buying gasoline on even/odd days, & 5 gallons each vehicle. [Glad I had 2 cars] ;)
But now I do know about Market corrections, & how long a Bubble, historically, runs. Were Overdue!

We are going for a ride today.

fear and greed 1.jpg

Last edited:
Haven't heard that one, but there is a market decline, due to the virus, which will take several months for the Airlines & associated suppliers to recover from.

Not been in an airport lately, I take it?

Nope! You can't get in, without a Ticket! I think that Sucks! Maybe you haven't seen that nearly All flights In & Out of China, have been cancelled.
Which represents what % of total flights?

Chinese Carriers alone, carried 549 Million people in spring of 2018. They have since opened New Airports, to serve the explosive Airline growth. Sorry I can't be more exact, Or know the percentage.

From this article:
“China represents about 3.8 percent of all the international seats for American, Delta, and United,”

How the coronavirus outbreak is affecting travel

That passes the sniff test without even fact checking it.

Haven't heard that one, but there is a market decline, due to the virus, which will take several months for the Airlines & associated suppliers to recover from.

But I cant see a 3% loss taking several months to recover from. That's a bad Friday.

That passes the sniff test without even fact checking it.

But I cant see a 3% loss taking several months to recover from. That's a bad Friday.
yes and no. Keep in mind the razor thin profit margins the airlines operate on. SARS cut into billions in revenue, and the shutdown wasn't as severe as this is looking to be.

No real research done, but first hit
Airlines Brace for Coronavirus to Cut Into Revenue

but will it bounce back? Sure
How China's Aviation Market Will Rebound After Coronavirus - Simple Flying

yes and no. Keep in mind the razor thin profit margins the airlines operate on. SARS cut into billions in revenue, and the shutdown wasn't as severe as this is looking to be.

No real research done, but first hit
Airlines Brace for Coronavirus to Cut Into Revenue

but will it bounce back? Sure
How China's Aviation Market Will Rebound After Coronavirus - Simple Flying

We are going into the weeds...lost revenue does not equal loss.
if I am a business and I sell widgets for $10 that cost me $8 to make. And I make them on demand.
If I make a batch of bad widgets and pay for them that is a loss. If less people buy widgets this month than I projected that is a revenue shortfall, not a loss. While it isnt good and it doesnt feed the monster, they also dont have the expense of running those flights.

Back