Steering Box Issue

jhaseker

After playing in the sand last weekend, I have some clunks and creeks coming from my steering. A quick diagnostic assessment showed the noise coming from the steering box and very slight movement of the bolt that attaches the steering box to the Pittman arm. I have read mixed reviews on this...will taking off the box and greasing the u-joint fix this problem or will I need to purchase a new steering box?

Pucker factor of 8.5 while waiting for answer...

Thanks!!!
Jim

Ok...so best I can tell is grease will fix the symptoms not the problem. I have a drop Pittman arm (which I will also be replacing) which likely stretched the splines on my sector shaft. *shaking head*

New PSC Big Bore HD Steering Box = $850
New Skyjacker Pittman Arm = $105

#breakitandupgradeit
#J.E.E.P.

A quick diagnostic assessment showed the noise coming from the steering box and very slight movement of the bolt that attaches the steering box to the Pittman arm. I have read mixed reviews on this...will taking off the box and greasing the u-joint fix this problem or will I need to purchase a new steering box?

A small amount of lateral movement of the sector shaft is normal. More likely, you have a bad tie rod end.

Back