Starter clicks but wont turn

thebluyak

Well my starter clicks once whenever I try to turn the engine over, it wont start it. And one time i did get it to start 2 days ago but it was realll whiny when it started didnt sound right at all, but recently it wont turn, just click, what things do I need to check and replace, my dad has a voltmeter so if i can use that then let me know how
Thanks
Ryan

Clicking starter:
1. Battery is dead or really weak
2. Bad/loose starter wire to the battery
3. Starter got hot and is locked up (tap it with a hammer)

There are prob more but these things come to mind and what I'd check first.

more info please.....

make, model, year, is this the original starter?

Check all your connections, and try the hammer thing. My Yukon does that every now and then because the battery cables work loose occasionally.

what kind of batter cable terminals do you have at the battery? if those cheap clamp type, take them apart and clean them... if not, check for other weak connections.

From the STICKY at the top of this section.
....with providing the best possible info available.

When posting, be as specific as possible, be descriptive, offer as much info as you know.

YEAR,Make and Model, what engine, transmission, transfer case, knowledge of this will help greatly.

Asking " How do I get the line of my clutch thing? " isn't likely to get much if any response, there is no info, nobody knows what you are working on.

"I have an '85 Toy 4Runner, I'm trying to replace the clutch master cyl. Can't seem to get the nut holding the line to come out, how to remove? "

A question like this will likely get you the answer you are looking for.

Just because the vehicle you are working on is listed in your sig. line, don't assume we know that is the vehicle you are working with. Many of the folks here work on all sorts of vehicles, sometimes all at once.

Think about the results you want, then post.

In your case, you don't even have your vehicle listed in your sig.

yeah sorry rich, ive got the 86 cherokee, It was recently under water for a few days and its the stock starter, its not my batt cause everything else works such as dome lights and it reads a steady voltage on my dash, Its the optima red top battery on the v6 2.8 engine, I was thinking it maybe just got fried from being underwater for so long and it might just need to be replaced
Ryan

I dont trust factory gauges. Get us a volt reading at the starter, off the solonoid (if you have one) and at the batt. The I can determine if the starter is shot.

Alright ill be able to get that for you sometime soon, Ive got to work the rest of the week and prom is saturday night, so saturday morning or sunday is the first free time I have, whenever I check it do I try to start the car and then test it, leave the car on accessary position, or leave it all the way off
Ryan

Just take it off the jeep, take it apart and get all the mud out of it and clean it up with a scotch bright pad and some wd-40. let all the parts dry the reasemble. put it back on the jeep and I bet it will start.

The key is to take the starter to the bench and take it apart and clean out all the crud.

Thanks Chris, Ill def try that before I invest in a new starter, but if that doesnt work Ill be sure to get back to yall about replacing it
Ryan

To save ya some time after you clean it up you can take it to an advanced atuo or an auto zone and they'll test it for you. If its cooked I think auto zone is selling salvage parts now, so that might be a little cheaper. I burnt the starter up on my ford doin the same thing you did to yours. I think mine only cost like eighty bucks.

Yeah thats not bad, I talked to one of the guys on here, new starter in box from his cherokee, and I might score a new brake booster, kill two birds with one cheaper stone
but ill see if I need the starter first

RYan

Under water? was it just the starter or the whole jeep? deep enought to get water in the crankcase? Check to see if the oil dip stick is shoing to much oil. have you tried jumping it? Charge batt. hold key in start, and check for heat bild up on the cables and bat/starter connections. what ever gets hot is the problem.

I was dealing with the same issue late this afternoon on my '78 CJ7. Mine turned out to be a weak battery. What sucked was that I had to use my Honda Accord daily driver to jump off the big 'ol jeep.

I had that problem on mine, ended up being a bad negative battery cable. Cable looked good, but apparently was screwed on the inside.

Back