Sous vide boston butt

kaiser715

Doing hard time
I decided to try a Sous Vide boston butt.

Bought one today that was right at 10 lbs. I decided to smoke it on the grill for about 3 hours tonight, then sous vide it overnight. I got the grill (Weber Genesis II) going with 1 burner on med-low, and the meat off to the unlit side. It's running about 250 degrees. For the smoke, I am using hickory pellets in an A-maze-n burner (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007ROPJ1M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

No rub at this point, just naked meat. I'll add the super secret seasoning and apple cider vinegar when I chop it tomorrow.

I got behind today, and didn't start early enough, so it will only have about 12 hours in the tub. Figuring I will have to push it at about 170 degrees to get it done by 1pm tomorrow.

I will get a pic before I pull it off the grill and vac bag it.

2 hours in, did a 180* rotate. Not flip, but rotated in horizontal plane.

And snapped a pic.

86fe654731e9d09419f408906c2cfa3e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

3 hours in the smoke, and I just pulled it off. Almost, but would not fit in the widest vac bag I had, so used a 2 gallon ziplock. Submerged it and got out as much air as I could. Barely fit in the tank, but it's OK and has good circulation. It's in at 170 degrees for the next 13-14 hours. Then, rest, chop, and add sauce.

Ive never tried one but everything i've seen has been more like 48 hrs in the tank. Hope it turns out good for you.

3 hours in the smoke, and I just pulled it off. Almost, but would not fit in the widest vac bag I had, so used a 2 gallon ziplock. Submerged it and got out as much air as I could. Barely fit in the tank, but it's OK and has good circulation. It's in at 170 degrees for the next 13-14 hours. Then, rest, chop, and add sauce.
I haven't messed with Sous vide but how does the meat get to ~200+ when the water temp is only 170?

Time, needs lots of time to break it down. Hence the 24 hour plus cook time.

I screwed up and didnt allow myself plenty of time for a proper cook. Should have started 18 hours earlier. With 3 hours to go, I poked it with a thermometer, and was 170 all the way thru so at least it was safe.

I figured to pop it on the grill wrapped in foil indirect at 275 for the last 3 hours to try and make it up to 190 internal. After a couple of hours, went to check, and the grill was a fireball. Well, everybody is entitled to one mistake in life, that was mine.

Got it out, rewrapped in foil, and put in the other grill for about an hour.

It was black all over, but not dried out at all. Must have just flared off right before I saw it.

I just pulled it, cut off the burnt crust, chopped and seasoned it. Tastes about like any other butt I have done, so no harm, no foul. Lucky save.

This has peaked my curiosity. I might have yet another kitchen gadget to buy (I don't have enough no matter what my wife says).

So, with Dr. Sous cooking, you basically get to set your water temperature to the optimal temperature of your food and let it go for however long it takes and it can't overcook?

Looking at the OP's goal of a pork butt, I can see why it didn't work out so 'hot.' The magic temperature for a pork butt is 195 degrees to melt the fat. No matter how long it sits at below that temperature, you will never melt the fat and produce a tender butt.

For perfect medium rare steaks, salmon, or scallops I could see this as a great tool.

That pretty much nails it. I dont think I will waste another butt this way....but a big old beef roast, heck yeah.

That pretty much nails it. I dont think I will waste another butt this way....but a big old beef roast, heck yeah.

i dont have the sous vide gadget, but i use this same method for reheating most anything. After you cook it, vacuum seal it with the juices. Heat water and put the bag in. Reheats it wonderfully with no risk to burn or dryout.

For future reference, if you debone the butt and tie it back up, you could use this method for sliced pork. You only need to take it to 170-175. Slice across the grain. I personally prefer this method if you are doing sandwhiches.

Back