SOA and flat springs

AMSting

Is it true that leaf springs will flatten when you go SOA? I know that longer shackles will flatten springs over time, but I was told that SOA will make them flatten immediately. Any truth to this, or were the springs just worn out to begin with?

It just depends on what kind of springs you have. I have stock springs on mine. XJ springs on the rear and CJ ones on the front. Mine are flat but work great that way.

:beer:

I thought flat or negative springs would be more susceptible to breakage under flex?

More info on the vehicle: 76 CJ7, outboarded mounts with YJ springs over Waggy D44s.

I don't think that's true. As long as your shackle moves too the springs should be fine.

My XJ springs go into negative arch quite a bit with no problems. I think my Excursion's front springs are at a negative arch most of the time just driving down the road. It just depends on the kind of springs you have and what they are designed to do.

Now if 4" lift springs go into negative arch that may be a problem since they are arched so much to begin with.

Took me two month of weekend wheeling to ruin stock CJ springs. Driver's side springs were negative big time because I must have been more biased to put those tires over obsticles because I could watch them more. Jeep sat crooked. Went to a 7 leaf pack and now they are just shapped like a "W"

I've seen stock YJ springs go negative in a weekend.

Once you go SOA, the spring is allowed to flex a lot more which wears them out and make them sit negative.

Just sitting in the back yard my YJ went neg. arch in a couple of weeks from lifting it

my decent stock springs went flat after SOAing in about a year of just sitting. My RE SOA springs should be here... speaking of the devil... the UPS man just pulled up.

Here's how mine sit...
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v214_nhodierne_TBcrossmem.jpg

and then go negative when in action...
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v214_nhodierne_60635347.jpg

Back