• propane

Votes: 25 34.2%
  • charcoal/ lump wood

Votes: 48 65.8%

• Total voters
Ribs, pork loin, chicken, tenderloin...

Scrumptious
image.jpg

Specs on the smoker? I was about to email @/dev/yj and ask for suggestions.

Cyd warmed up some of the flank steak that @Paul brought over. Rolled it up in burritos.

Masterbuilt Sportsman Elite 44" Propane Window Smoker - Smoke 20051314

It's propane and is OK. It seems to be moderately insulated; could be better. I have a hard time controlling the heat. Seems that sometimes it's 350* and sometimes it's 250* on the same setting. The chip container could be better as it only holds enough chips for about 20 minutes. The smoke could be thicker as it never really gets too smoky like I expect or want.

Seems like it's mostly an outdoor oven that I'm still trying to figure out. Overall it's ok. I really like the size as its big enough for a lot of various meats in one shot.

Masterbuilt Sportsman Elite 44" Propane Window Smoker - Smoke 20051314

It's propane and is OK. It seems to be moderately insulated; could be better. I have a hard time controlling the heat. Seems that sometimes it's 350* and sometimes it's 250* on the same setting. The chip container could be better as it only holds enough chips for about 20 minutes. The smoke could be thicker as it never really gets too smoky like I expect or want.

Seems like it's mostly an outdoor oven that I'm still trying to figure out. Overall it's ok. I really like the size as its big enough for a lot of various meats in one shot.
Cabinet style smokers are great. Insulation is key to temp control. BlackBear built a Stumps clone a few years ago that took forever to come up to temp but ran forever after.

Smoke needs to be "thin blue" otherwise is putting bad stuff on your food. Pitmaster doesn't mean your a good cook, although that's what we all hope to be, but first have to master the pit.

Food looks good!

Specs on the smoker? I was about to email @/dev/yj and ask for suggestions.

Cyd warmed up some of the flank steak that @Paul brought over. Rolled it up in burritos.
Man, so many options. Stumps is famous. Others like pellet smokers come in all sizes and configurations.

This will require study involving perusing the 'net and beers! At your place! ;-)

Cabinet style smokers are great. Insulation is key to temp control. BlackBear built a Stumps clone a few years ago that took forever to come up to temp but ran forever after.

Smoke needs to be "thin blue" otherwise is putting bad stuff on your food. Pitmaster doesn't mean your a good cook, although that's what we all hope to be, but first have to master the pit.

Food looks good!

The insulation is just OK. It gets to temp in a couple minutes and just as short to drop off from where it should be if the flame goes out. It sometimes drops 20* just putting more chips in. If it were better insulated it would be much easier and much more efficient

This one was supposed to be rated one of the better ones. If it's one of the better rated ones, I can't imagine dealing with the cheap ones.

The insulation is just OK. It gets to temp in a couple minutes and just as short to drop off from where it should be if the flame goes out. It sometimes drops 20* just putting more chips in. If it were better insulated it would be much easier and much more efficient

This one was supposed to be rated one of the better ones. If it's one of the better rated ones, I can't imagine dealing with the cheap ones.
Yea, I mod'ed a GrillMaster pit for a year and finally realized it just wasn't thick enough to hold temp.

Mine's a Lang but was abused and I had to repair it and work on it annually to keep it going. The beauty is that it recovers within a few minutes of opening the door. BlackBear and I have cooked on it in 25* weather with no issue.

There are lots of great pits. Go visit a BBQ comp and see all the possibilities.

Also look at a uds smoker. They look like ass, but they are dead simple and fairly efficient on charcoal. And you can make one in a weekend with one trip to lowes and use materials you have laying around.

Its kinda limited on space, that's the only draw back I have found with mine. The stump clone I made was way too big...

Also look at a uds smoker. They look like ass, but they are dead simple and fairly efficient on charcoal. And you can make one in a weekend with one trip to lowes and use materials you have laying around.

Its kinda limited on space, that's the only draw back I have found with mine. The stump clone I made was way too big...

I made a UDS per johns suggestion and it works great.

image.jpg
Wings and two pork chops, for my peculiar father in law that don't eat wings

Last edited:
No finished pics but just got back from a birthday party that I cooked 28lbs of Boston butt for. Started smoking them yesterday morning about 9 really low. Took off this morning, wrapped and tossed in fridge. Heated this afternoon in oven on 350 for a couple hrs.

This is from yesterday about lunch.

20160506_184807.jpg

Attachments

• 20160506_194144.jpg
    20160506_194144.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 294
Wifey went to the symphony with some of her friends, so I had a super quick grill party.

Did a cumin and chili powder rub on a tiny steak, threw it on the grill with poblano and serrano chiles and some yellow squash. Blackened the chiles, shocked and peeled the skin off, then chopped them and some cilantro and threw them into some guacamole while the steak rested. Turns out spicy guacamole is really good on steak. Barely touched the squash, made too much food for just myself.

Snapped a pic as an afterthought to piss off my sister who doesn't get to eat as much steak as she wants too.

IMG_20160507_204213764.jpg

Wifey went to the symphony with some friends, so I had a super quick grill party.

Did a cumin and chili powder rub on a tiny steak, threw it on the grill with poblano and serrano chiles and some yellow squash. Blackened the chiles, shocked and peeled the skin off, then chopped them and some cilantro and threw them into some guacamole while the steak rested. Turns out spicy guacamole is really good on steak. Barely touched the squash, made too much food for just myself.

Snapped a pic as an afterthought to piss off my sister who doesn't get to eat as much steak as she wants too.

View attachment 217387

Eating in the living room while the wife is away lol. I do the same thing brother lol

auploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160511_cb74c95f852383f54d19439fde9d5bb1.jpg

Salt & peppered pork chops, fresh zucchini and corn on the cob.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm trying really hard not to be a taco snob and make a comment about the flour tortilla.

Didn't work. :D

Your filling looks great, there's a lot of fresh crunchy stuff in there. Hell yeah radishes in tacos! :rockon:

I'm trying really hard not to be a taco snob and make a comment about the flour tortilla.

Didn't work. :D

Your filling looks great, there's a lot of fresh crunchy stuff in there. Hell yeah radishes in tacos! :rockon:
Well, diabetes has caused me to cut back on the corn, but actually I like flour better anyway! :)

Well, diabetes has caused me to cut back on the corn, but actually I like flour better anyway! :)

Ah, you're a Tex-Mex man....

That's interesting though, I'm no doctor or dietician and know very little about diabetes, but I would have thought the fiber in corn meal would have a slower sugar release than the refined flour. I actually stick to flour for burritos only because I eat a lot of tacos and don't want the carbs.

I'll stick to cars.

Last edited:
Back