so what's on the grill tonight?

propane or charcoal

• propane

Votes: 25 34.2%
  • charcoal/ lump wood

Votes: 48 65.8%

• Total voters
@/dev/yj I must not know what a Vegan is because I thought they wouldn't eat or use any kind of animal or animal products. Correct me if I'm wrong please.

LOL, he's a wanna-be Vegan. His older brother was a Vegan in LA for years and we now enjoy cooking BBQ - as in Pork, Beef, Chicken, etc., but his younger brother doesn't know how to actually assemble a complete diet as a Vegan. On top of that, when he's hungry, he'll pretty much eat anything. His desire to be Vegan is driven from Schizoaffective Disorder and lots of phobias, paranoias, psychoses of many types. I actually consider it a good sign when he eats normal food and he gets the nutrition he needs.

Apologies to any Vegans lurking out there... ;-)

butt been sitting on egg for 10 hrs
20170219_174846.jpg

It was a yard work day, so I grilled Ballpark franks for the kids and kielbasa with sauerkraut for Mama and Daddy. The meal was made by the sides tonight... broccoli steamed in foil with olive oil and salt, tossed with melted butter and garlic when it was done, and diced sweet potatoes in foil with olive oil, garlic, & cumin, tossed with a sauce I made from my chicken bbq sauce, mayo, and apple juice. It was fan-effing-tastic!

A few wings with a quick batch of sauce. Seasoned tater tots. Easy
20170222_191120.jpg

think its time for 2nd helping...

Ribs. Cut into smaller segments for quicker cooking. I'm starving.
IMG_20170222_193136462.jpg

How were the NC oysters? Had some Folly River oysters last week at my buddy's house and they were some of the best Ive had in a while.
You said it.... Best I've had since I can remember. I'm no marine biologist but I'm thinking the warmer than average weather has kept the waters around the Eastern seaboard saturated with nutrients and is why the seafood has been so good lately. :confused:

The mussels, clams, oysters, seafood in general over the last 6 months has been extraordinary.

And I grew up on James Island. Damn do I miss those local ones.

You said it.... Best I've had since I can remember. I'm no marine biologist but I'm thinking the warmer than average weather has kept the waters around the Eastern seaboard saturated with nutrients and is why the seafood has been so good lately. :confused:

The mussels, clams, oysters, seafood in general over the last 6 months has been extraordinary.

And I grew up on James Island. Damn do I miss those local ones.

Nice...we're on Johns Island. Love it here, although it's getting busier and busier. Friends are renting a place on Bohicket creek and have a dock. I really want to take my father in laws kayak out there when they open the waters back up for harvesting....looks like they are closed for the time being.

A neighbor also brought us some just off the boat shrimp a few weeks ago too. Very tasty..they had a sweetness to them that was really unexpected. Most of the shrimp I've had just tastes shrimpy :p

Last edited:
Nice...we're on Johns Island. Love it here, although it's getting busier and busier. Friends are renting a place on Bohicket creek and have a dock. I really want to take my father in laws kayak out there when they open the waters back up for harvesting....looks like they are closed for the time being.

A neighbor also brought us some just off the boat shrimp a few weeks ago too. Very tasty..they had a sweetness to them that was really unexpected. Most of the shrimp I've had just tastes shrimpy :p
I'm sure you're familiar with SeaPerfect clam farms on Sol Legare and Folly. It's closed now. Property sold a few years ago. My dad worked there with Knox and Leon as a skiff boat driver and seed transplant. Back in those days I used to get access to fish on their docks anytime I wanted. I caught so many sheepshead, black drum, speckled trout, etc I practically lived off of seafood. I'd also ride to Cherry point and load up on buckets of shrimp for CHEAP. That place is not like it used to be.

I'm sure you're familiar with SeaPerfect clam farms on Sol Legare and Folly. It's closed now. Property sold a few years ago. My dad worked there with Knox and Leon as a skiff boat driver and seed transplant. Back in those days I used to get access to fish on their docks anytime I wanted. I caught so many sheepshead, black drum, speckled trout, etc I practically lived off of seafood. I'd also ride to Cherry point and load up on buckets of shrimp for CHEAP. That place is not like it used to be.

I'm a WNC transplant so only been here 7 years....and it's changed a lot in that time already. Not familiar with the Sea Perfect farm but that sounds really interesting. My wife and I talk about how cool it is going to be for our little girl to grow up here.

Give me a yell if you're ever back in the area :beer:

One of our friends is from South Africa, and before she and her husband move to Austin, TX next month, they wanted to have a little get together with a few friends the other night and have a South African braai. A few ribeyes from his family's farm in the upstate, lamb chops and some sausages they found at a South African market. The steaks and lamb were only seasoned with pepper and a generous portion of salt (he said whatever you think would be normal....and then keep adding) and cooked on charcoal. Good eats. I've only had lamb once or twice before and didn't think it was anything special, but those chops were just about as good as any filet I've ever had.

694263fffb4f6bd08f1f1fe93c0efc3d.jpg

CAB T-bones, roasted corn and butter onion

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Venison steaks that have been marinading for 24hrs.

20170423_192428.jpg

Parents brought a couple filet mignon over. Pic doesnt do em justice, they were all at least 3" thick! Everybody else wanted their's butterflied. :shaking:

Last edited:
20170427_201817.jpg

First go round with some tri-tip steak.

Back