So long, standing mixer!

trailhugger

Human Resources
Administrator

Just kidding, I'll totally use my standing mixer to whip heavy cream for pies at Thanksgiving, or strawberry shortcake, or to frost a cake. At least now I know how to do just a little bit with a whisk so I can step up my microwave brownie game!

I spec'd out my latest one for making marshmallows, because my last one burned out... ...while making marshmallows. Nice big bowl-lift rig now, in obnoxious granny smith green (I really want to flame it, like Pete Chapouris' Limefire coupe). It's on its second control board, because expensiveness is no guarantee of product quality after the warranty expires but it only has 2 hours of use on it. Makes some mean masa for tamales though.

No more tilt-head units. They just don't have enough power, but they do make nice whipped cream.

Last edited:
KitchenAid Pro 5 plus for me.
FTW!

KitchenAid Pro 5 plus for me.
FTW!

I think I have a Pro 600, the slightly bigger brother to that one with the 575 watt motor instead of 450 watt.
Extra marshmallow power!

Unless, of course, you are in the middle of making something, and the mixer doesn't turn back on because the control board just took a shit a few weeks after the warranty expired. Then your 575W mixer has zero power. And then you swear a lot and buy an expensive replacement motor control board. And then you question your buying decision and wonder why you didn't keep that old stand mixer that worked great for everything but marshmallows.

:D

Last edited:
I spec'd out my latest one for making marshmallows, because my last one burned out... ...while making marshmallows. Nice big bowl-lift rig now, in obnoxious granny smith green (I really want to flame it, like Pete Chapouris' Limefire coupe). It's on its second control board, because expensiveness is no guarantee of product quality after the warranty expires but it only has 2 hours of use on it. Makes some mean masa for tamales though.

No more tilt-head units. They just don't have enough power, but they do make nice whipped cream.
Care to share your masa recipe?

Back