SILVERADO Torsion Bars

jlbf0786

I have an 04 2500HD, stock height with a little bigger tire.

Can I just tighten the 2 Torsion screws to gain 2" of clearance?

Is it best if I put a jack under the frame to take some pressure off the torsion bar?

thanks

Dont spend the money on torsion keys!!
They are no different than cranking your stock keys. They just allow you to tighten further which you don't want to do.

They are no different than cranking your stock keys. They just allow you to tighten further which you don't want to do.

I agree. If you are gonna crank the torsion bars, I wouldn't go more than about 1.5". You should be able to keep alignment in check and still retain a decent ride.

It's a misconception that torsion keys help alignment, don't kill cv joints, balljoints and ride better than just cranking the t bars. In order to gain lift with torsion bars you either have to lower the frame pivot point or add preload. Adding preload is what you do when you crank the stock keys. So why pay for aftermarket keys that do the same thing as stock ones the just let you make it even worse.

You'll probably only be able to get 1 1/4" - 1 1/2" inches out of it before you max the stock keys. If you really want more, you can buy the aftermarket keys and crank further.

Think of cranking t-bars as your front suspension being a rubber band. You can "stretch" it buy cranking the bars, but how far will it stretch before it breaks?

Yes you can tighten the torsions up and gain a little lift .But you will sacrifice ride and might have problems with alignment as well.
If you are only looking for 2 inches I would pick up a set of torsion keys .
Here is some good info for you .
http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/...keys-torsion-bar-cranking-replacing-tech.html
Horrible idea, listen to this guy below
It's a misconception that torsion keys help alignment, don't kill cv joints, balljoints and ride better than just cranking the t bars. In order to gain lift with torsion bars you either have to lower the frame pivot point or add preload. Adding preload is what you do when you crank the stock keys. So why pay for aftermarket keys that do the same thing as stock ones the just let you make it even worse.

As he said, the leveling keys only allow you to crank farther, they are simply reindexed keys that allow you to keep cranking where the stock bolt would have bottomed out. They still have the same effect on alignment, ride, and angles.

The only true "useful" leveling kit out there is the Cognitio kit that includes new upper control arms. They are slightly longer allowing easier alignment, they correct the upper ball joint angle (which is more severe than the lower), and they replace the metal/metal contact of the droop stop with a urethane bump stop for a less harsh downtravel. You still have horrible CV, tie rod, and lower ball joint angles. Ride still sucks due to the LCA being at a sharp angle. It is a common misconception that cranking the bars itself makes it ride stiffer, the actual cause of the stiff ride is the angle of the LCA is steeper, effectively creating a shorter moment arm on the torsion bar. Think of it as trying to turn a bolt with a ratchet rather than a long breaker bar.

I have gotten roughly a max of 2.5" out of stock keys, but every truck is different, some I haven't been able to get nearly level (mostly 1/2 tons) and they did require keys, or stiffer replacement bars from a 3/4 ton. I have never had any issues getting a proper alignment even with 3" on a set of keys I did for a guy, but I was not happy with the angles and I made that clear when I was doing it for him. I have never ran anything higher than 1.5" of crank personally simply for the ride quality and improved angles over going higher.

To the OP, YES jack the truck up to take the weight off the suspension, otherwise you may twist off the adjustment bolt, I have heard of many people doing this. Also get an alignment ASAP as your camber and toe will be way off, but an alignment will fix that right up.

If you realllly want leveling keys I have some I could sell for $40 that I removed right after I bought my truck. (I had installed the keys for the previous owner.)

Just to help explain mine/MarsFab's point, here is a comparison shot of torsion bar keys.

The one on the bottom is a stock 2500HD key, known as a "purple key" due to a small purple paint mark used to distinguish them at the factory, that mark usually wears off soon, this is also factory installed on the Silverado SS to lower it since putting a 2500HD key on a 1/2 ton will lower it you will see the opposite is true of the vice versa below.
In the middle is a leveling key for a 2500HD, (which is nothing but the stock key from a 1/2 ton z71, also known as a "green key", this allows you to crank 2" farther than a stock 2500HD key, all of the expensive leveling kits you see are nothing but a copy of this casting and priced 3X as much. You can pick these up at the dealer for $60 brand new, or get them from a junkyard)
The top key is a leveling key for a 1500, (which is nothing but a stock Ford F-150 key, which just happens to fit and lift a 1500 GM 2".)

As you can see the only difference between the keys are the indexing of the hex shaped hole, cranking the adjustment bolt would have the exact same effect as swapping these keys except they give the ability to go farther. (The "ford key" casting has the triangle cutout, but many aftermarket keys are the same index without the cutout)
ai44.photobucket.com_albums_f43_GCncsuHD_15fhbgk.jpg

I went with the Cognito kit to get 2" of lift in the front. I also swapped in Bilstein shocks- those made my 2500 ride so much better. Firmed up the front and made the rear softer.

Scott

torsion cranking

Well I decided to try the cheap way.. I just cranked up both sides almost as far as they'd allow. I left 1/2" on each side approximately, i've driven it but theres not a noticeable difference as of yet.

It measures almost 2" higher in the front now, its already got
285/75R-16 on it, (but they're just Uniroyal Laredos (nothing with any tread depth)

I'll certainly have to install a ReadyLift of 3" or so once I go to 35's in a month or 2.

THANKS FOR ALL THE USEFUL FEEDBACK AND SUGGESTIONS.

j. barringer
charlotte nc

Did you align it after cranking? Otherwise those new tires will be coming much sooner than you think....

And if you are still running stock wheels you will not need nearly 3" to fit the 35s.

alignment

No, i didnt align it yet.. only b/c i'm buying new wheels and tires this week (actually tonight) im going to pick up some 18x9 Driv Off Road Tremor 8 wheels.
And trying to find a decent deal on Nitto Trail Grappler M/T'

I've been told that the biggest tire thatll fit will be
285/65/18

?????????? true or false
CAN I GO W/ A BIGGER TIRE?

Did you align it after cranking? Otherwise those new tires will be coming much sooner than you think....

And if you are still running stock wheels you will not need nearly 3" to fit the 35s.

No, i didnt align it yet.. only b/c i'm buying new wheels and tires this week (actually tonight) im going to pick up some 18x9 Driv Off Road Tremor 8 wheels.
And trying to find a decent deal on Nitto Trail Grappler M/T'
I've been told that the biggest tire thatll fit will be
285/65/18
?????????? true or false
CAN I GO W/ A BIGGER TIRE?
A quick google search shows that wheel has 4.5" backspacing on a 9" wheel, 285/65 will be about your maximum and may still require a little trimming/massaging of the inner fender area. A different wheel with more backspacing would allow a bigger tire.

ordered 3" leveling kit!!!

Well I ordered a 3" Leveling kit, it'll be coming in this week.
It only cost $47.95 off of eBay, i paid extra for fast shipping .. b/c i didnt wanna get it aligned and then have to do it yet again after installing the leveling kit.

Its def. scrubbing when in reverse, eventhough im trying my best to stay off the highway.. its hard to do when its my only daily driver!

ANYONE HAVE A GOOD INSTALL SHOP IN CHARLOTTE THATS CHEAPER THAN MOST ???
I Can't see paying $200+ just for installing a leveling kit.

Well I ordered a 3" Leveling kit, it'll be coming in this week.
It only cost $47.95 off of eBay, i paid extra for fast shipping .. b/c i didnt wanna get it aligned and then have to do it yet again after installing the leveling kit.
Its def. scrubbing when in reverse, eventhough im trying my best to stay off the highway.. its hard to do when its my only daily driver!
ANYONE HAVE A GOOD INSTALL SHOP IN CHARLOTTE THATS CHEAPER THAN MOST ???
I Can't see paying $200+ just for installing a leveling kit.
:rolleyes: I usually charged ~$30 for installing keys depending on how rusted/stubborn the t-bars were in the LCA/Keys, although you are still looking at $50-80 on top of that for the alignment.

If you are interested in doing it yourself, I can rent you the torsion bar unloading tool for a deposit. The job "can" be done with a 10 ton 2 jaw puller, but there are bent lips on the torsion bar crossmember and a divot in my concrete to show why I will never do that method again.

$48 is a good price for the keys, finally places are realizing they cannot charge double what the dealer charges for the exact same leveling keys.

$30 -- I'm Game!!!

Where are you located in Salisbury?
For $30 it may just be worth the drive up there from North Charlotte!

:rolleyes: I usually charged ~$30 for installing keys depending on how rusted/stubborn the t-bars were in the LCA/Keys, although you are still looking at $50-80 on top of that for the alignment.

If you are interested in doing it yourself, I can rent you the torsion bar unloading tool for a deposit. The job "can" be done with a 10 ton 2 jaw puller, but there are bent lips on the torsion bar crossmember and a divot in my concrete to show why I will never do that method again.

$48 is a good price for the keys, finally places are realizing they cannot charge double what the dealer charges for the exact same leveling keys.

Where are you located in Salisbury?
For $30 it may just be worth the drive up there from North Charlotte!
Actually as of this weekend I will no longer be in Salisbury, more out towards Statesville/Mocksville right off I40. My next two weekends are booked due to moving and going on vacation for my anniversary. I could possibly do it one evening after 6pm M-W next week though. Remember you are going to want to schedule an alignment soon after. That I cannot do.

torsion key install

Man you're gonna be pretty far out from Charlotte.. I-40 is probably 1-1/5 hrs from me and im right on I-85 Near Charlotte motor speedway.

I appreciate the offer, but I think i'll have to pass since its gonna be a haul n' a half.. to get up there to your new place.

You don't need new front shocks with 3" of lift in the front?

I'm guessing the front will sit a little higher than the rear with that much. Are you ok with that?

Sounds like you're going to end up with what you paid for...something cheap.

You don't need new front shocks with 3" of lift in the front?
I'm guessing the front will sit a little higher than the rear with that much. Are you ok with that?
Sounds like you're going to end up with what you paid for...something cheap.
With 3" yes you need new shocks or shock extenders definitely, in my opinion, on a stock height truck you need longer shocks. Whatever idiot that chose the OEM shock for these trucks must not have owned a tape measure. The suspension incorporates a droop stop plate that the UCA rests on when it has reached it's limit of down travel. There is one big problem with this though...the stock shock is about 1/4-3/8" too short and actually limits the travel before it hits the stop. If you jack the truck up by the frame allowing the suspension to droop out, you can nearly stick your finger between the UCA and the droop stop. Unbolt the shock and the suspension will droop all the way to this plate, which at the hub equates to almost another inch of downtravel. On most stock trucks it's not really an issue unless you drive hard, but when you crank or level a truck you are riding at the very top of the suspension travel, meaning you are likely to hit that top of travel much more often...at 3" of crank, you are going to nearly be riding on that droop stop actually.

Back