Shock recommendation

justjeepin86

So, i want to stay leaf sprung for the simplicity, but would love a little better ride. Im sprung over with stock/hybrid yj springs. Crappy 3000 series lift shocks. How much better can i expect to be with better shocks and what would be the recommendation? I don't mind spending the coin if it will really help.
Jeep yj with 350 700r4 d300.
8.8 Dana 30. Will be a 44 in the front.
35's

Sent from my SM-J737A using Tapatalk

So, i want to stay leaf sprung for the simplicity, but would love a little better ride. Im sprung over with stock/hybrid yj springs. Crappy 3000 series lift shocks. How much better can i expect to be with better shocks and what would be the recommendation? I don't mind spending the coin if it will really help.
Jeep yj with 350 700r4 d300.
8.8 Dana 30. Will be a 44 in the front.
35's

Sent from my SM-J737A using Tapatalk

Is the front the factory shackle setup?

Have you considered a reverse shackle setup? They tend to ride a good bit better.

What’s the shackle angle look like out back?

all angles are factory really. A little of the rear problem is no weight. I don't have a tire carrier on it. That would help. I still feel like better shocks would help. Just trying to make myself feel better about that decision.

Is it stretched any? Honestly that would help in many ways as far as stability but it would also require a fuel cell. Doing so would allow you to run XJ leafs turned backwards with new shackle locations off the back bumper. You need to run an anti-wrap bar as well, but all of what I mentioned would be major improvements. Mine is setup that way and rides quite well. New shock hoops in the rear and some good shocks. @Chris_Keziah is able to do that and is in Winston.

Shackle angle will do more than shocks in my opinion. Stock angles were not that great and if you have any lift they are even worse. Is it still spring under or spring over now?

In my opinion, which isn’t fancy by any means, softening up the spring rate so it’s not bouncy will probably solve your issue. In theory you want the lightest rate spring and then a shock to dampen that movement so at speed it doesn’t nail the bumpstops. You still got a stiff spring or too short of a shackle for the arch of the spring and it will ride harsh no matter what shocks you put on it.

Is it stretched any? Honestly that would help in many ways as far as stability but it would also require a fuel cell. Doing so would allow you to run XJ leafs turned backwards with new shackle locations off the back bumper. You need to run an anti-wrap bar as well, but all of what I mentioned would be major improvements. Mine is setup that way and rides quite well. New shock hoops in the rear and some good shocks. @Chris_Keziah is able to do that and is in Winston.

I'm not going down that rabbit hole. Been there done that long ago. I want stock wheelbase, stock flared, CJ7. That's why I put a cj front clip on it. In the first post I described the suspension. I'm sprung over with flat stock yj springs. I'm capable of all fab that is needed for pretty much anything. I have a build for this on here, but didn't want this trashing it up.

In my opinion, which isn’t fancy by any means, softening up the spring rate so it’s not bouncy will probably solve your issue. In theory you want the lightest rate spring and then a shock to dampen that movement so at speed it doesn’t nail the bumpstops. You still got a stiff spring or too short of a shackle for the arch of the spring and it will ride harsh no matter what shocks you put on it.

I don't know how to be softer with no arch. Springs are flat.

I'm not going down that rabbit hole. Been there done that long ago. I want stock wheelbase, stock flared, CJ7. That's why I put a cj front clip on it. In the first post I described the suspension. I'm sprung over with flat stock yj springs. I'm capable of all fab that is needed for pretty much anything. I have a build for this on here, but didn't want this trashing it up.

only way to get a softer ride is longer springs, or more, thinner leaves with the same overall rate.

A longer shackle, or softer shackle angle might allow more motion, or a less harsh motion.

Here are some threads about similar topics:
Shocks on leaf springs?
Fox vs Bilstein shocks

Flat springs also tend to ride like crap Bc they have no way of transferring that motion into the shackle. It’s even worse if the shackle is straight up and down.

A lighter rate spring with more arch (will settle into the same spot), shackles sized and set up to allow the spring to go from full arch to flat without inverting or limiting it, a wrap bar to control wrap, and then spend a few bucks on shocks that can be valved and dialed in.

My bad for overlooking the info in the first post. Just trying to help. A longer wheel base rides better and gives you options for longer springs, but me and my trashy Jeep will just stay over here in my lane.

My bad for overlooking the info in the first post. Just trying to help. A longer wheel base rides better and gives you options for longer springs, but me and my trashy Jeep will just stay over here in my lane.
Happens to all of us. Sorry for seeming assholish. But, I guess I am one, lol. Yeah, I just want this to be a driver/wheeler. Not cutting anything up.

I converted my CJ to YJ springs. I used the stock shocks for a little while before buying Bilstein 5125s. The difference in ride quality was astounding.... Still rides like a Jeep though.

If your staying leaf sprung I'd be looking into slider boxes for the front along with some softer springs all the way around.

If your staying leaf sprung I'd be looking into slider boxes for the front along with some softer springs all the way around.
Good idea, just the slider box instead of a shackle would allow more arch while maintaining the same rate.

Happens to all of us. Sorry for seeming assholish. But, I guess I am one, lol. Yeah, I just want this to be a driver/wheeler. Not cutting anything up.
@77GreenMachine y’all play nice with my old jeeps! :flipoff2:
Michael, when I had stock springs in the back it really didn’t ride that bad.
I wouldn’t go through the trouble to do slider boxes. You can come check the ones out on my taco. There are things I don’t like about them.
I may have missed it, but are they completely stock springs or did you add a leaf or two?

It’s a pain, but I would just shoot for a better shackle angle. Maybe use a waggy main leaf with YJ’s under it and use spring plates/perches that will allow you to slide the axles back to stock wheelbase. Like picture...

Or cut out the frame side shackle mount and move it forward in the rear and back in the front.

Attachments

• 6E554D0A-9D45-4A83-BF42-7308D4366CB0.jpeg
    6E554D0A-9D45-4A83-BF42-7308D4366CB0.jpeg
    19.2 KB · Views: 149
I have a brand New set of Gabriel's, Classic. Part # 8215607J. They fit a 2.5" lifted CJ, & other vehicles. It was a mix-up in shipment. I tired them, & felt like they were Firmer, than what I wanted. $50 for the 4 ! If this is your style?

Attachments

• IMG_20181227_172600161.jpg
    IMG_20181227_172600161.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 135
Back