Septic system questions

VortecJeep

Powered by Uranium-235
We made an offer on a house today. It has a septic system that I don't know much about. Here is what I know:
Has a pump
There are black corrugated pipes sticking up several inches above ground in several places with a valve in some of them. Some distance away is some white PVC pipes sticking about 18-24" above ground and they have caps on them. The seller's realtor says the valves distribute flow evenly to the septic field and the PVC pipes that stick out of the ground are the ends of the septic lines.

If it matters, the house was built in 1984.

My questions:

Why are the PVC pipes that stick up out of the ground needed?
What type of maintenance is required?

I would assume the pipes stick up so they can be easily found if you need to snake them. If they have nozzles on them then they may be part of a spray field.

Sounds like a LPP system. If so the pipes sticking up at the ends of the lines are for checking head pressure in each lateral so you can tell if there is debris in the lines. These types of systems are used when the ground isn't great or doesn't "perk". Under perfect soil conditions the water from the septic tank is gravity fed to the tail lines where he soil absorbs it. In this case the water has to be forced into the ground, so the pump doses it.

This type of system has to be "operated" twice a year by a licensed operator. It can be home owner maintained, but you will have to go to the class to get the cert.

Can you snap some pictures of the the pipes and the field? Or have a septic layout?

I wouldn't make an offer on that until after a septic inspection. And I would want to be there during the inspection to ask these questions.

Thanks guys. If we do go under contract, I should be able to have it inspected during the due diligence period.

Thanks guys. If we do go under contract, I should be able to have it inspected during the due diligence period.

Correct. And you might consider getting a couple of opinions, especially if the first one comes back iffy.

If it's in Cabarrus county call Mark Thompson and tall to him about. If you need his number send me a PM.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Make sure whoever does the septic inspection pumps the tanks. Sounds like it would be obvious but there are a lot of company's that don't include pumping the tank in the price and it's pretty important.

If it's in Cabarrus county call Mark Thompson and tall to him about. If you need his number send me a PM.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
It is Cabarrus County, I think I have his number from calling him about a property I ended up not buying.

Sounds like a LPP system. If so the pipes sticking up at the ends of the lines are for checking head pressure in each lateral so you can tell if there is debris in the lines. These types of systems are used when the ground isn't great or doesn't "perk". Under perfect soil conditions the water from the septic tank is gravity fed to the tail lines where he soil absorbs it. In this case the water has to be forced into the ground, so the pump doses it.

This type of system has to be "operated" twice a year by a licensed operator. It can be home owner maintained, but you will have to go to the class to get the cert.

Can you snap some pictures of the the pipes and the field? Or have a septic layout?

Fawk that if it IS an LPP system. I don't know much about septic, but I work with those guys every day. I do know that LPP = $$$. Our LPP system folders are reams thick because of the operator paperwork.

Realtors are under certain legal requirements now when it come to septic systems, and they'll probably pull the paperwork for you, but if not, call your Environmental Health Department and get it yourself. It shouldn't be hard, 1984 isn't THAT far back in the EH world.

Fawk that if it IS an LPP system. I don't know much about septic, but I work with those guys every day. I do know that LPP = $$$. Our LPP system folders are reams thick because of the operator paperwork.

Realtors are under certain legal requirements now when it come to septic systems, and they'll probably pull the paperwork for you, but if not, call your Environmental Health Department and get it yourself. It shouldn't be hard, 1984 isn't THAT far back in the EH world.
Agreed! I put in septic systems and LPPs are EXPENSIVE. And they have to be "operated" twice a year, which cost more money. If the HD permits a LPP or an sand filter system I usually don't even quote it because I hate telling customers that I'm ganna have to charge $15k so they can take a shit.

And yes most HD have info on SS back to the 80s and some have records past that

Well, we got the house under contract. Oh crap (pun intended), our house isn't even on the market yet.
Septic inspection is next week and I verified they will pump it as part of the inspection.

Well, we got the house under contract. Oh crap (pun intended), our house isn't even on the market yet.
Septic inspection is next week and I verified they will pump it as part of the inspection.
Just remember that the inspection isn't a "pass" or "fail" , but more of a finding of fact. As point of sale inspectors we can't say you system is failing. We can only point out what's right or wrong with it.

Back