School Me on Uwharrie

06MegaCab

Hey Everyone,

My name is Austin - I am new to wheeling in NC but not new to wheeling in the general sense. I am from Mississippi and did all of my wheeling in river basins and at Grayrock outside Birmingham.

The difference now is I have a wife and we are expecting our first child soon. I want to get her (and eventually our soon to be born daughter) hooked on off-roading. I took my wife out once in my old YJ while we were in college (it was on one tons 42 tsls) and I was doing my thing and inadvertently scared her on one trail (Things got a little tippy on a steep hill with deep washouts).

I currently have a 1985 CJ7 on 33s. I am going to have MARS install the 4.88s and lockers sitting in my garage in the next few weeks as soon as they have an opening so I will be taking an 85 cj on 33s locked front and rear to Uwharrie. My parents own a house across the river from there and we are starting to spend a lot of time out there so I want to start exploring the trails.

My question is this: what are some of the easiest "pink" trails that I can take my wife on that will get her comfortable with off roading while enjoying the scenery? As we continue to do it we will definitely hit all the trails, but for now I want to take her out and get her used to it while having a low chance of breaking and having to limp out or getting too tippy. I'm thinking something I can just lock the diffs and crawl around on.

Thanks and I look forward to getting to know all of you!

I would rate all these super easy
Wolfs den
Slab pile
Saw mill
Falls dam

These trails when wet can be challenging
Rocky mtn loop
Dutch John

uwharrie's most challenging
Dickey bell
Daniel

If you're used to wheeling none of these trails are really rough especially if your used to windrock or Harlan.

Avoid the trails that start with 'D'. Dutch John, Dickey Bell, and Daniel. Falls Dam, Wolfs Den, Saw Mill, and Slab Pile are very mild and you can have fun on them. Dutch isn't bad but has a hill climb at the end that might scare her a bit.

Edit- same thing ^ he said.

This is perfect! I'm thrilled to get back into this.

I am also interested in volunteering on weekends. She won't be able to do much until after we have the baby but I'm sure she would be happy to supervise until then and I know my dad would be interested too.

FS can use any volunteer they can get only had ten this weekend. Volunteering is a great way to get your foot in the door with other groups.

Fwiw that Jeep has been up Daniel and dicked bell without the lockers ando gears.

URE mild are gravel roads

FS can use any volunteer they can get only had ten this weekend. Volunteering is a great way to get your foot in the door with other groups.

What is FS?

Ahhhh. Got it.

As Shawn has said many times.....

Disconnects are stupid.

There's air at the outpost. You're gonna want to drop tire pressure to 13ish, regardless.

It depends on the weather. Start with Wolf's den, falls dam, if it's not wet, consider Dutch John from the west end heading towards Rocky Mountain loop. If that all goes well, then Rocky Mountain loop counter clockwise. Then Rocky Mountain loop clockwise, then the west side of Daniel to the overlook and back, then Dickie Bell from the Rocky Mountain loop end, then Dickie from the falls dam end, then the front side of Daniel.

You can run every bit of that in a stock TJ, but it takes some driving. If you've never done any wheeling before, might stop on my list near Dutch John.

A stock TJ can run every trail at URE when it's dry. It all comes down to the driver. If you're new and don't know WTF you're doing, avoid Daniel, Dickie Bell, and probably the hill climb on the Saw Mill side of Rocky Mt (or run it downhill). That bit is harder than anything on Dutch John.

You can run a stock TJ up Daniel, no problem. A JK needs 35s and two lockers, though.

A stock TJ can walk Daniel. I don't see any reason why a Zuk wouldn't do the same.

We ran it in the dark about a month ago with two sleeping babies in the back seat.

You can do Daniel in a bone stock TJ on highway terrains with two babies in car seats in the back, so long as it's dry.

Don't let any of these non-driving pussies tell you otherwise.

That might be scary in a Toyota, I don't know. But I assure you, you can walk that in a stock tj on highway terrains... Even with two sleeping babies in the back seat.

:flipoff2:

If it's dry...you can run about anything. Dickey Bell has apparently gotten a little more challenging thruout this season, and Daniel is always full of surprises. Keep her off those and you'll stay out of the doghouse. But the rest you should be able to cakewalk in a CJ on 33's. Dutch John will give her a thrill while making her feel a little safe....I mean, it's a huge wash with 10ft sides...so no fear of tipping over, but you may struggle a little with traction if you're open.

Great information, thank you very much. Now I just need an open weekend to get out there ASAP!

As Shawn has said many times.....

If it's dry...you can run about anything. Dickey Bell has apparently gotten a little more challenging thruout this season, and Daniel is always full of surprises. Keep her off those and you'll stay out of the doghouse. But the rest you should be able to cakewalk in a CJ on 33's. Dutch John will give her a thrill while making her feel a little safe....I mean, it's a huge wash with 10ft sides...so no fear of tipping over, but you may struggle a little with traction if you're open.
oh_gif_kid_by_magnasicparvis-d4zugsk.jpg

just adding in a small anecdote...

a dodge megacab once pulled me out of a jam at Uwharrie. trailwhale or something was his name on here.

Back