School me on Generators / Welderators

shelby27604

Shopping around for a generator, flip flopping between some of the larger inverter types, or just going with the standard old reliable setup. I have also been looking at dual fuel units, as propane is always easier to find and store in the event of an "emergency" event.

Been finding a lot of the generator / air compressor / welder combos. Anyone have experience with units like these? It would be handy to have on various job sites, is this like a swiss army knife where it will do everything, and none of it well?

Buy for your intended use. The Swiss knife is somewhat true.
Generation more then weld current?
Type of weld output?
Size of down stream electrical needs?
Carbon arc at all?
Generation at food grade facilities?
Decible limits?
Size? Weight? And lastly budget?

The last one will dictate a lot on limitations and abilities.

Compressors built in are not new either....but most of the equiped units I look at are industrial and not a hobby machine at this price point.

If any of the desired use is for RV generation within a regulated park I have not found one that crosses over well. If you want camping power without hauling it to the nearest sound deadning gully I would buy totally specific units.

More details and me and others could help. Especially if it's involving an arc on my end.

Honestly the welder portion would just be an incase of emergency....kind of use (tractor bucket repair, odd field repair on the job site). I have seen a lot of the AMP commander Pro 9.5kw welder/compressor/generators locally for $3k and under, with a retail price of $9k......it makes me think it is either a deal, or something is wrong with the units.

I have been looking for a 4kw inverter setup for a house project we have coming up (prolonged periods without power).

I think I need an inverter setup for the house / neighborhood and something different for field stuff....too many otions.

Any opinions on the 3400watt champion inverter units that are dual fuel? (I like the idea of propane for long term storage and fuel availability)

Any opinions on the 3400watt champion inverter units that are dual fuel? (I like the idea of propane for long term storage and fuel availability)

A friend owns one of these. It does not have enough output to run his very basic 220 stick unit. Older transformer welder needing just over 50 amps. Many of these units are around 35 amp out put. And that is starting current not running continuous.
The advertised total power mask in-rush current capabilities. Or in his case the amperage needed wasn't present.
When shopping be sure to check the amperage available.
Now if your running a fancy inverter welder they do pull less current. Down side is some also don't like "dirty" supply. Inverter genset pushing an inverter welder has killed some boards on higher end Miller welders.
Lincoln has a newer compact welder genset. Supposedly much quieter in operation.
With several power output options.
For the size your looking at in 3400 watt I'd expect power hand tools and the like to be happy. Not a decent compressor and a power tool together either. It would also struggle to run a heat pump and anything else along side it.

I'd suggest something along this size.
Screenshot_2019-10-19-16-14-23.png

Would run larger tools, Or multiple small tools. Regular heat pump, or well. Buy a small inverter based multi function welder like the Rebel and rock on.
Screenshot_2019-10-19-16-23-56.png

Back