Scams

choochoo

So I'm trying to sell my bass boat on the net and I get two scam e-mails in One day.
Hello,
when am surfing the net I came across your ad for sale and I'm willing to
purchase your Boat but need to know if It is available and the condition of
it.Kindly let me know if I can pay with a cheque issued from US Bank .Kindly let
me know how much you are actually willing to offer to sell it I will also need
the picture of the Boat if is available.I will really appreciate your timely
response so that we can proceed.
Adams.
And this one.
Greetings Seller,
I saw your beautiful boat over the web and am much interested in buying it. I live here in Canada, and I will like you to know that I will personally take care of the shipping of the beautiful boat down to my location. So please mail me back with this details concerning the boat I will also need to see some recent pictures of the boat and how much is your last price Get back to me asap. I will like you to know that am buying this as a suprise birthday gift for my fahter and I want the best for him. Thanks. I await your soonest reply. Sincerely, jhon jhon_baker101@yahoo.com

I swear I think they are all the same person. I got several of those while trying to sell the TJ. They all have the same slightly broken english, and they all involve Canada. Definately a scam. I even had one that claimed to work for the CA department of motor vehicles. When I asked him to email me from his "work" email with the CA DMV domain, he never responded back. :rolleyes:

Good luck with the sale of the bass boat. Hopefully there won't be anymore scam attempts.

Brian

yeah, all your buyer protection goes out the window if the buyer is not in the US from what I've read.

Total scams. Guys trying to sell their motorcycles are getting bombarded with them.. Some have been having a little fun saying "The condition is good, but the kaneuter valve is sticking and the muffler bearing needs to be greased", and the guy still writes back like your e-mails..

Maybe im stupid, but where is the "scam" part? I would just ask for cash or a money order? Send the money western union? maybe i be stoopid ?

Maybe im stupid, but where is the "scam" part? I would just ask for cash or a money order? Send the money western union? maybe i be stoopid ?

The scam is they send you a check for much more than the asking price, then they send thier "shipper" who takes the vehicle and signs over all of the paperwork. You hand over the extra cash that was above and beyond what your asking price was and they're gone with your vehicle, boat, etc, and your cash. The check they sent you was a fake, (they will not send you cash), but the bank didn't catch it until after they gave you the cash. The bank will then hold you accountable for the full amount, since it was a fake. Meanwhile, there is no way to find the individual who sent the fake check since any phone numbers are bogus and they always use free email like yahoo, etc.

It doesn't work for a lot of people, but they try so many times, they will always find some unsuspecting person who will sell a vehicle without ever meeting someone in person. If it didn't work sometimes, they wouldn't do it so much.

Back