SC trailer title question

Webbinator

Just bought a trailer from an individual in NC. He of course signed the title over to me and included a bill of sale form. I think in SC you aren't required to run a tag on a utility type of trailer. So my question is if I take the existing title to DMV to have it put into my name, will that put me in a position to have to pay property taxes on it. I know you have to pay the tax to get a tag, but if you don't have to run a tag seem like that would make you not have to pay property taxes. I'm going in circles with this, so if anybody can shed some light I would really appreciate it.

Webb

I have thee title to my utility trailer in my glove box, but my large home built trailer has no title.

As far as I know, there is no advantage to having it titled in yourr name in SC, unless you try to sell it to someone from NC who needs a tag.

Also I do not think trailers are considered automotive property for the prupose of taxation in SC

I would think having a title in your name would be good. It would show proof of ownership. If you signed the back of the title as the new owner you can't sell it to someone else and would have to retitled it anyway.. It would be unwise to leave the title open or unsigned for a long time..

I titled one of four in SC and got plates for it too. While it is not required, it will save you tons of headaches if you ever pull out of state. I am now about to finish getting the plate on the boat so I can go and fish NC and GA. In the long run, even if they do charge you any taxes it is pennies compared to the hassle of getting pulled over when towing out of state. Plus with them titled in my name I am able to insure them against theft.

As far as getting the title in your name, they shouldn't tax you for that. The tax on my trailer wasn't due until I put a plate on it. And you will have to pay sales tax to get the title in your name.

$20.00 every two years for a two year plate (must go by the courthouse in addition)

$87.00 Permanent Tag ---- only need to go by DMV. (no further tax fees with this option)

Bring Title & Bill of Sale. Must pay State Tax if not paid when bought from seller.

This is the best that I can recall from my conversation with the lady at the DMV.

Hope this helps..

J.R.

OK, thanks for the info guys. Looks like I will just go pay the fees and get the title switched into my name. I would rather be safe than sorry.

HANO is right, except I remember the DMV person telling me that you had to pay property tax every year if you didn't get the permanent tag.

I hope you get the title - I listened to everyone's advice and didn't title mine for a while. I got hit with a $50 or so fine.

If you pull out of state, it must have a tag. There is also something about once you go over some weight (can't remember if it's 1500 or 2000 lbs), then can ticket you. I don't know anyone who has been, but it was in the conversation I had with the DMV.

There are a lot of people who don't tag their trailer and don't weight tag their truck in SC - I wonder what the cops say when you get in a wreck?

I've been told by multiple DMV people that you could NOT tag a trailer in SC. If you have a SC trailer tag please post up some info because I haul more in NC than SC as it is and have been pulled no less than 3 times for no trailer tag, once they saaw I was from SC and checked for lights etc I was set free and told to have a nice day. But if i could pat $50 or so and not deal with Barney I would be more than willing

I have been told by the DMV, that if the trailer weighs under 2000lbs no tag needed. If it wieghs over 2000lbs tag is needed. Any trailer that goes out of S.C. needs tag (4x8 utility or 32 ft gooseneck). DMV said no state honors "no tag law". Just what I was told by DMV when I called about my trailer.
Bryan

I've been told by multiple DMV people that you could NOT tag a trailer in SC. If you have a SC trailer tag please post up some info because I haul more in NC than SC as it is and have been pulled no less than 3 times for no trailer tag, once they saaw I was from SC and checked for lights etc I was set free and told to have a nice day. But if i could pat $50 or so and not deal with Barney I would be more than willing

I just picked up my permanent tag for my car trailer....

You will need the title, proof of insurance of the vehicle that will be pulling it, and the bill of sale showing that the sales tax was paid. (if it was paid at the time of purchase)

I opted for the Perm. Tag.. versus the every two year renew tag... (no more property tax payments on the perm. tag)

$87.00 for the plate
$35.00 for instant new title (15.00 if they mail it)
$75.00 for late registration fee :rolleyes: 6-13-06 purchase

$197.00 total and I now have a SC title in my name... registration card and a black and white permanent tag....

I have 2 trailers one is a 4x8 and the other is 6 1/2 x 16 ft and they told me that ,I could title the trailer's but less i was going to keep it on the road that i would not have to buy a tag in SC less it was over 10,000lbs so dont any of mine have tags on them ,and i take my big trailer to West Virg.all the time and pulled over a time or 2 the cop ask about the tag and i told him where i was from and then he said nothing about the tag but we are talking about 4000lbs in all so maybe i was blessed

I have been told by the DMV, that if the trailer weighs under 2000lbs no tag needed. If it wieghs over 2000lbs tag is needed. Bryan
I remember that the DMV person said as soon as the weight is over 2000lbs.
Either way, most of us our going to either pull our junk to another state or tow some junk we bought from another state.
I think the good news is that most cops have no idea.

So how do you get a title for a hoemamde trailer in South Carolina? I didnt bother getting a tag when i moved here, but i got to thinking if i moved to another state and they require a trailer to have a title, well mine is homebuilt. So I would like to get it done and over with and get a title just so i do not have problems later on.

So how do you get a title for a hoemamde trailer in South Carolina? I didnt bother getting a tag when i moved here, but i got to thinking if i moved to another state and they require a trailer to have a title, well mine is homebuilt. So I would like to get it done and over with and get a title just so i do not have problems later on.
Does it have real axles or MH axles? MH axle trailers are illegal to be built here now. Let me know what you find out?

Back