SAS on OBS F-250

1-tonmudder

Doin my part to stir the pot.
I have a 96 F-250 PSD 4wd that I work out of.Its ready for balljoints again and I think the center pivot bushin needs replaced too,I'm over it and ready to sell or do a SAS.I have a KP 60 front and I know I will need a trak bar w mount and a lower u bolt plate for the drivers side.What else will I need ? I assume the steering box will be the same,but what about the front springs?? Do I need to swap to 350 front springs,will it sit level w 250 springs and a 60 in the front or will I need to get a rear factory lift block from a same year F-350?? Any thing I'm missing??? Since its my work truck Id like to have all the parts rounded up so its only down for a couple of days.I know this swap has been done a million times but I cant seem to find the anwers. @UTfball68 maybe???

I've got a 97 250 diesel and I've wanted a solid axle for a while.

Take my babbling with a grain of salt, however...

As I understand it a stock 350 axle and leaves will boot up after you gut the ttb crap. You can't use 250 springs if you like your spine. They are stiff as crap compared to the 350 springs since they have to deal with the ttb dampening. I think the steering stays the same too.

This is just recollections of what I extensively researched a while back. Good luck and post up pics if you do the swap.

As I understand it a stock 350 axle and leaves will boot up after you gut the ttb crap. You can't use 250 springs if you like your spine.
That's my understanding as well but no conformation from somebody who's done it.

Last edited:
F350 axle, leafs and steering links and rock out.
Done a few of them.
Rear block??? Two day job???
If you can grab from the springs down from the 350...it'll be relatively 'bolt in'. Only thing that might give you trouble is spring pad location depending on year of the axle.
My axle is a 89ish model,its dw but I put new all new brakes and bearnigs in my 250 hubs last winter so Ill just swap them over.

Rear block??? Two day job???
My axle is a 89ish model,its dw but I put new all new brakes and bearnigs in my 250 hubs last winter so Ill just swap them over.

Rear block is taller for the 350's. And that link I posted above should be a good check list then for your axle.

Yeah I knew that I thought if I used 350 front springs I might need to use the rear block to match the height of the front.

I was going to suggest the shackle reversal too, but wasn't sure how cheap @1-tonmudder was trying to be :D A buddy of mine did this same thing with his old 85 F350 and he's been running it for several years.

I was going to suggest the shackle reversal too, but wasn't sure how cheap @1-tonmudder was trying to be :D A buddy of mine did this same thing with his old 85 F350 and he's been running it for several years.
I would like to stick w using the parts I already have but I'm not above spending the money if needed.I had already planned on replacing all the susp bushins in the front.

What year is your 60? If it's 86 and newer you're good to go. If it's 79 and older the spring perch spacing is different. I did the front on my 86 in 4 hours from sitting on tires with the TTB to sitting on tires with the 60. Ford had a couple brake caliper designs in the OBS era. Your KP axle should have a different caliper than the 50. I'm pretty sure you can bolt the 50 caliper bracket to the KP 60 since the 50 has 60 outers. I have a couple sets of 350 front springs in Asheville if you can't find a set closer. I ended up lifting mine so I took them out. I have one set that are out of a 460 truck, and I have a set that are still under my 7.3 truck, but I would sell either one. I've used a lot of parts from Sky Manufacturing on these trucks and on a SAS Tahoe and have nothing but good things to say about their stuff. And yes you will need 350 blocks in the back. The 250's have 2 inch and the 350's have 4 inch.

Back