Sanding round tube

RatLabGuy

You look like a monkey and smell like one too
What is a good way to sand off rust on round tube? Lets say we're talking about cage pieces on a complete truck.
Problem being that a typical sander can only contact a small bit of the surface at a time. Is there a good trick for getting paper or other facing wrapped around it? Aside from the obvious just wrapping loose paper and rubbing by hand.

I use different size round wire wheels in a drill

Get a roll of 1" wide abrasive cloth, it's often easier to use for that than rectangular sheets of abrasive paper.

Some of the Dynafile sanders work pretty well too, if you want to buy a shiny new specialty tool.

Aside from the obvious just wrapping loose paper and rubbing by hand.
Wrap the paper around the tube and use your hands to slide it back and forth.
You fail reading comprehension :flipoff2:
Ain't nobody got time for that...
It's rusty enough that I'm not sure normal paper will do it w/o it taking forever.

hm, maybe a good job for a young teenager who needs Scout Camp money though

Some of the Dynafile sanders work pretty well too, if you want to buy a shiny new specialty tool.
this thing is pretty slick but I can't imagine the price tag

this thing is pretty slick but I can't imagine the price tag

About a G. The import version can be had for under $200, though! I really want to get one to try out. We don't do a lot of tube sanding, but there have been a few times where one of those would have been invaluable.

Ain't nobody got time for that...
It's rusty enough that I'm not sure normal paper will do it w/o it taking forever.

hm, maybe a good job for a young teenager who needs Scout Camp money though

If the tubing is really that rusty:
  1. Do you really want to use it for a cage?
  2. How are you planning on prepping the rest of the tube length before coating?
  3. Abrasive paper comes in different grits.
;)

If the tubing is off the car, for example you've just fishmouthed a joint (or are about to), why not just dress the ends with a flap wheel (or surface prep disc) on a bench grinder?

Oh, I think I really do fail at reading comprehension. You are talking about the rest of the tube length; I figured you were talking about just dressing the ends for weld joint prep. :D

Last edited:
Get a roll of 1" wide abrasive cloth, it's often easier to use for that than rectangular sheets of abrasive paper.

We have a Dynafile at work, looked into buying one before I saw the price. Sure ain't a cheap tool but they are mighty handy.

Probably the best sanding tool I've found for tube is those rectangular sanding block that sheetrock guys use. I'm the years doing new construction I used to dig lightly used ones out of the dumpster and take them home and wash the mud dust out. Brand new ones are a little pricey but a 60 grit will cut right through some pretty heavy stuff. Being that they're pliable, you can hand form it around atleast half of the tub OD get into tight corners easy. A good 60-80 grit will knock the millscale down enough to weld also.
Then theres a wire wheel which actually adds a polished finish to the metal that's so slick it's almost like glass. You damn near have to scuff it up before you paint so it'll stick.

Scotch bright pads can be had from a body shop supply store and comes in different grits. Seems to work well and lasts a decent amount of time.

Naval jelly, maybe? I've used it in the past with good results.

Scotch bright pads can be had from a body shop supply store and comes in different grits. Seems to work well and lasts a decent amount of time.

I was thinking also of going the chemical route. I can't remember the name of it off hand but I've used a rust converter on an old tool cabinet that worked really well. I'd imagined I'd stil lwant to do a first pass w/ abrasive just to get the dusty or initial layer off.

Depending on the length/amount, I'd say use emery cloth in normal grit ratings. It is basically sand paper with a soft backing usually packaged as a roll. Tear off 8"+, wrap it around the tubing, pull the ends in a sawing motion. I don't think it is going to be quick or fun with any method.

This, navel jelly is the shit. Apply in the shade. don't let is dry. Will also acid etch the areas not rusted.

Couple of sets of rollers to lay the tube across and some sort of chuck or way to chuck the tube up to a drill. Spin the tube with the drill while it lays on the rollers and hold sand paper to the tube.

Watching youtube, thought of this thread

Edit: the clip starts at 11:00. The media poster function didn't keep that part of the url

Last edited:
Eastwood Contour SCT[emoji768] - Surface Conditioning Tool

I actually just ordered one of these, I've got lots of tube with just surface rust and I feel like it will do a good job on it. So far I haven't found a vid of anyone doing that specifically but we'll see.

I’ve used one of those several time on stainless to get the grain to all appear the same direction after building food grade platforms and backsplash. The work great for getting large panels to have a consistent surface finish especially after bending/welding.

Excellent to remove the marks from the hydraulic brake dies and the material sliding on them.

Never used it for cleaning up tube, but may be very slick. Keep us posted.

Back