Sampson-Richland Rd. Trail Watagua/Caldwell County

I am interested in going out on Richland tomorrow. I got the Day off and wanted to do something different from Uwharrie. Was also looking at Old NC HWY 105 too, just for a change of scenery. Read a lot of warnings in forums about trespassing and disputed land and the like pertaining to Richland. I know neither of them are suppose to be challenging, just figured I would get some input

Read a lot of warnings in forums about trespassing and disputed land and the like pertaining to Richland.

FB groups are giving false info. See below

The deal is still the same if you read the first page of the thread. Its an abandoned state road that has private property on both sides. If you stay on the main "road" (trail), you are legal. If you do any of the play areas to the side, you are trespassing. The creek crossings are fun, and its a nice ride in the mountains, but nothing scenic and nothing challenging.

The info IS misleading somewhat as some of the bridges are private making the creek crossings the legal path.

The deal is still the same if you read the first page of the thread. Its an abandoned state road that has private property on both sides. If you stay on the main "road" (trail), you are legal. If you do any of the play areas to the side, you are trespassing. The creek crossings are fun, and its a nice ride in the mountains, but nothing scenic and nothing challenging.

I had read that. Thanks for the quick reply CasterTroy Heading out shortly.

Just for future reference (since this comes up about once a year, haha), here's a screenshot of Richland Road on the Caldwell County GIS:
View attachment 206363

And here's Penley road on the Watuaga County GIS:
View attachment 206364
Just to quote myself again...
Just for future reference (since this comes up about once a year, haha), here's a screenshot of Richland Road on the Caldwell County GIS:
upload_2016-1-8_14-55-24-png.206363

And here's Penley road on the Watuaga County GIS:
upload_2016-1-8_14-56-52-png.206364

Just to quote myself again...

The problem is...there's all these FB "groups" giving all kinds of bad info...I replied (initially) to clear the air and be sure nothing had changed. I linked the thread to all these misinformation so there's likely going to be more traffic than normal.

The problem is...there's all these FB "groups" giving all kinds of bad info...I replied (initially) to clear the air and be sure nothing had changed. I linked the thread to all these misinformation so there's likely going to be more traffic than normal.
You're not the one I'm quoting it for :flipoff2:
And those who I am quoting it for will have no understanding of the GIS maps anyway, so its probably just a waste of time. But at least I tried. :stupid:

Well, We went, and had a good time, did not see another soul on the Richland trail except 1 Black 4 door JK at the very beginning.

Attachments

• IMG_20160316_121450667_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160316_121450667_HDR.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 622
  • IMG_20160316_123024214.jpg
    IMG_20160316_123024214.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 667
Hey guys! New member here. My friends and I are staying at Jellystone park and camping in Marion next week and are going to explore the falls with our kids. I came across Richland Trail. We are looking at doing it mid week.
We will have a few jacked up golf carts with us, a couple of stock jeeps, stock Honda Pilot 4x4, and a stock Tacoma. My question is will it be worth bringing the golf carts and will they be able to make it over the streams and do the trail? Also will the stock suv, truck, and jeeps be fine also? We all have kids that love being on the golf carts. If the golf carts get stuck we have a power pull winch and a tree saver. We love using our golf carts to do trails and go off roading. Also would we be able to by chance pull our double axle trailer down the trail or is there a decent spot we can park it while we do the trail on the golf carts. Any info is greatly appreciated! Thanks so much and hope you guys have a great weekend!

IMG_20160316_122644255.jpg IMG_20160316_120316470.jpg IMG_20160316_121257770.jpg IMG_20160316_121748889.jpg IMG_20160316_130930511.jpg IMG_20160316_133133121.jpg
Hey guys! New member here. My friends and I are staying at Jellystone park and camping in Marion next week and are going to explore the falls with our kids. I came across Richland Trail. We are looking at doing it mid week.
We will have a few jacked up golf carts with us, a couple of stock jeeps, stock Honda Pilot 4x4, and a stock Tacoma. My question is will it be worth bringing the golf carts and will they be able to make it over the streams and do the trail? Also will the stock suv, truck, and jeeps be fine also? We all have kids that love being on the golf carts. If the golf carts get stuck we have a power pull winch and a tree saver. We love using our golf carts to do trails and go off roading. Also would we be able to by chance pull our double axle trailer down the trail or is there a decent spot we can park it while we do the trail on the golf carts. Any info is greatly appreciated! Thanks so much and hope you guys have a great weekend!

Logan, I have as you can see above a 2011 JK with a 2 inch Lift. I just drove Richland yesterday, 03/16/16. From the Richland Road end, I don't think your going to make it very far with the golf carts or the stock Tacoma, The Jeeps maybe, they have a shorter wheel base and may make it across the first few big Rocks Like the first pic above of my Jeep. Beyond that first big Rock obstacle, is another one, with basically a creek bed for a road. Now from the other end at Penley Road, you could make it about half way down the trail with the Jeeps and the Tacoma, Leave the Honda, one of my friend's have one of those, while a nice vehicle, it is not made for this trail. The golf carts, I hate to tell you it would be a good idea for them, plus there is not really anywhere to drop a trailer that I assume your going to be hauling them on, not to mention there are a few puddles in the trail that I fear may swallow them. I don't have any of the puddles, but I do have a few more pictures of the trail, and an undercarriage shot that my wife took worried I was gonna drag, I did not have that worry but, it is still sorta a cool shot all the same anyone else feel free to throw in an opinion. I hope this helps.

^^ This. leave the golf carts, Honda and Toyota out (the Toyota is a maybe). Ride it in the Jeeps and check it out first.

Thanks for the responses. As for the trail, how long is it give or take staying on the main trail. Also my friend wants to take his Tacoma no matter what, so if it's something he can't make it over or through, is there away around it just in case? By the way thanks for the pics. The trail looks awesome! I'm going to bring my go pro and all my attachments and get some cool shots and videos

A stock toyota on 31's can, and has, done everything up there. Including some stuff off the main trail.

I second that that on the yota! In fact, make sure he goes as it may be your jeeps saving grace! Wheeled there for nearly 20 years and always drove a yota from bone stock to heavily modified. You just have to use your head a do a little "driving" when stock!!

Thanks guys. He will be happy about that. How long is the trail? From watching a lot of videos on the trail it's looking like I could take my jacked up golf cart and go around areas that I wouldn't be able to make it through. I know a couple of people said don't bring it, but it looks like from the videos that I can just go around want ever area is rough or water.

I went to school in Boone and rode this trail many times in many vehicles.
Glad to see it is still open. It is what started my love for what we all do.

878ccb7d5d42bd6fa39112d61e85b060.jpg

3c9c4f78e26a9a0df83b35a0766d07ba.png

dd45ea6e9db86974c67bd54848e33ca5.png

1454643b37c46ad3292d33434243c797.png

7b55b817e2312b915eaa6d0833deeba2.png

fe5bc566e16a68ae9bffab8a8878a2a5.jpg

2eec5b6162d5f4a8c06b9847204dc500.jpg

24c670041fa1bbcb1a8097f5823d6af0.jpg

59657d091885d969125d6cc450ba9ea1.jpg

58d611d4d0b21d51849f2ecfad2d7a83.jpg

2c61ae2ef76a893d0e263b0d1339160f.jpg

98ef054b43a0687fb7a007d747a82f48.jpg

dab67f3fab6675de393b4095da3a5109.jpg

I even drove the old VW bus through 80% of it.

26a2c70d3e0128b0581cfd358362c058.jpg

One of the burned cars was my buddy's XJ which caught on fire on the trail. He had to sit and watch it burn. We went back the next morning and it was all toast. We tried to haul it out of there, but we couldn't get it.

I went back a couple months later and it was all gone.

0c6d693e130b2f3a230ca3e1faa1ad29.png

Anyone riding Richland road during the weeks of December 26-January 6? I've never been, but would like to try the drive. Thanks.
I have a group of friends going on new years, so there will definitely be people out there then. I wont be able to make it unfortunately.

I second that that on the yota! In fact, make sure he goes as it may be your jeeps saving grace! Wheeled there for nearly 20 years and always drove a yota from bone stock to heavily modified. You just have to use your head a do a little "driving" when stock!!

I drove a my 2001 Dodge Caravan thru there a few years ago.

Yerby, we both enjoy a trip to Richlands, but please don't explore the off shoot trails without a landowner's permission. None of the other trails aside from the main road are legal. I found this out the 1st time i went up there and saw 2 kids in an S-10 held by a landowner until the police arrived. The cops were none too happy after having to call in a 4x4 to get to the location (this was before they "paved" the trail) and they were not very lenient on the 2 guys when they got there (from what I remember, the charges were tresspassing, public intoxication, underage drinking and DUI). The road is subject to all state laws (seatbelts, drinking, etc..).

I see you are in Newton, PM me and we can go wheeling sometime in something that WILL require you to use those little switches under the radio. I am in Newton off of Sigmon dairy road.

Yerby, we both enjoy a trip to Richlands, but please don't explore the off shoot trails without a landowner's permission. None of the other trails aside from the main road are legal. I found this out the 1st time i went up there and saw 2 kids in an S-10 held by a landowner until the police arrived. The cops were none too happy after having to call in a 4x4 to get to the location (this was before they "paved" the trail) and they were not very lenient on the 2 guys when they got there (from what I remember, the charges were tresspassing, public intoxication, underage drinking and DUI). The road is subject to all state laws (seatbelts, drinking, etc..).

I see you are in Newton, PM me and we can go wheeling sometime in something that WILL require you to use those little switches under the radio. I am in Newton off of Sigmon dairy road.

Hello there, I just bought my a Jeep and am looking for clubs and forums to join and learn from. I found this forum and thread and wanted to let you know that I live in Conover and would like to maybe meet up sometime and go offroad. I am not ready to climb rocks and such just yet, but I would like to get off the pavement on a trail or something. Anyone else in the Hickory/Conover/Newton Area up for teaching a Newbie?

Whatcha think?

Pete

Hello there, I just bought my a Jeep and am looking for clubs and forums to join and learn from. I found this forum and thread and wanted to let you know that I live in Conover and would like to maybe meet up sometime and go offroad. I am not ready to climb rocks and such just yet, but I would like to get off the pavement on a trail or something. Anyone else in the Hickory/Conover/Newton Area up for teaching a Newbie?

Whatcha think?

Pete
Maybe try Jeepers united they go up that way a lot, they have a FB page

STAY OUT OF THE CREEKS.
STAY ON THE DIRT ROAD.
THERE ARE GAME CAMERAS THAT WILL CATCH PLATES.

I wrote jeepers unlimited and after a few weeks with no reply, I finally got a message from the Admin.. saying he closed the group for lack of is it? participation.

Is Muddevils a legal place to ride? Where is it?

Back