Rv showers...are they really necessary ?

Discussion in 'General Chit Chat' started by Dylan W., Feb 11, 2019.

1. Dylan W.

Dylan W. lone resident of Bro-Lite Island

How useful is the shower in your rv/camper/toy hauler etc..?

Given the fact that most campgrounds have bath houses, is an onboard shower a must have, cant live without amenity?

Thoughts?

2. kaiser715

kaiser715 Doing hard time

Use ours every time. Made sure it was big enough to get my arms over my head without opening the shower door (just about impossible in some we tried).

Haven't set foot in a campground bath house since we got the motorhome. Amazing how nasty people can be.

Showering once or sometimes twice a day, cooking, etc, we can make 4 or 5 days without dumping or refilling. Do what I call a navy shower....get wet, shut off water, lather up, turn water on and rinse.

Paul, jeconn, trailhugger and 6 others like this.
  3. lockedup5

lockedup5 overcompensating underachiever

That's why we sold the Taco truck. Mainly because it didn't have a shower.
    Just ask you wife she will give you a quick answer if she plans to stay in it.

CasterTroy, Chris_Keziah and Dylan W. like this.
  4. junkxj

junkxj Well poop!!!!!

Or you could just wash in a creek like a normal human does when out in the woods......

Caver Dave, GubNi, cbjeeper and 7 others like this.
  5. kaiser715

(....but it sure is nice to get home to our 20sqft endless hot water (tankless) shower at the house)

Dylan W. likes this.
  6. 77GreenMachine

77GreenMachine Phillip Talton

I would kill for a shower of my own. Was just at Windrock. Nicest shower houses you could ask for really. Killer campground. But if I was in a camper/RV of my own that had a shower, I’d use it for the simple fact I could stroll out the shower and get dressed right there.

Instead I had to take all my stuff over to the bathhouse, shower, haul all of it back to camp and it was cold. Real cold. A shower in my own RV would be amazing!

lockedup5, GONOVRIT and Dylan W. like this.
  7. sawdoff

sawdoff Well-Known Member

You can answer your own question by answering this one. Do you plan to take a female with you? The end

GubNi, tknopp, YotaOnRocks and 6 others like this.
  8. Dylan W.

Yeah you're right.
    Come to think of it, between her and 2 daughters, I'll never get to take a shower in it anyway.

9. shawn

shawn running dog lackey of the oppressor class Administrator

Yes.

A shower and an air-conditioned shitter are the only reasons you haul around that big plywood box.

Croatan_Kid, lockedup5, Paul and 12 others like this.
  10. Dylan W.

Alot of good points being made here.

Hell, I'm just sitting in the rv looking for a good place to store fishing rods. Removing the shower seemed logical.

11. 1-tonmudder

1-tonmudder Doin my part to stir the pot.

and a non army cot or sleeping bag to lay down on.

Scooter402 and Dylan W. like this.
  12. RatLabGuy

RatLabGuy You look like a monkey and smell like one too

I think this thread is already done.

Dylan W. likes this.
  13. Dylan W.

I mean..I could make the argument that theres no way theres enough hot water for 4 hot showers. The hot water heater tanks in these things are tiny.

"Navy" showers work I guess, but I'll look for the shower house every time so I can take a proper shower. I'll let the girls figure out the navy shower thing. I just dont see it working for them.

14. mommucked

mommucked Endeavoring to persevere

About 25 yrs ago my brother,friends and I camped out in the wilds of the Roanoke river NWRs for a few/5 years w the deer permit hunts. We camped @ the Broadneck,Company Swamp and Conine Island, lands that are only reached by boat. The permits allowed 5 days on the refuge, camping anywhere within 100 yrds of the river and 3 days to hunt. IF we did bathe it was a quick whore style wash in the cold "pristine" muddy waters of the lower Roanoke river in Oct/Nov. I remember thinking while washin my stink off and drying off beside the fire that this is how the old timers washed before plumbing. We ALL killed deer every trip and sometimes 2. I think part of our hunting success came from us smelling like bears that the deer were used to smelling everyday and the smell of campfire smoke that cannot be easily washed off hair or skin w a wet rag, soap and water. I highly recommend anyone who wants a wilderness adventure/deer hunting/camping trip to look into these permit hunts if the rain lets up next season. The late Oct-Dec dates are better because the skeeters are not so bad.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    Dylan W. likes this.
  15. kaiser715

Invalid argument. They are now making tankless water heaters for RV's that are a direct swap for the 6/10 gallon units. Only problem left is water supply and waste tank capacity.

https://www.amazon.com/Girard-2GWHAM-Demand-Tankless-Heater/dp/B019BWN8E2

16. Scooter402

Scooter402 Rest in pieces

Oh, come on now...you know the ho bath (baby wipes for the feet, junk and pits) is all you need. And a shovel for a hole in the ground. That's all the gubmint wanted to give us when traveling abroad! :lol:

No, I'm with you. The shower is definitely worth it. Been a long minute since I've been in a camper (20+ years ago with my grandparents), but those campsite shower houses can be nasty as fawk. People are gross.

Dylan W. likes this.
  17. Dylan W.

There that's better

18. Granny

Granny One day at a time...

That is strictly a personal opinion... we have neither, and get along perfectly fine without. A couple homemade innovations take care of it all. :driver:

Dylan W. likes this.
  19. jeepinmatt

jeepinmatt Still Fat

Showers...are they really necessary?

junkxj and Dylan W. like this.
  20. paradisePWoffrd

paradisePWoffrd Recovering Project Junkie

X1000000000000000000000

Dylan W., Chris_Keziah and shawn like this.
  21. skyhighZJ

skyhighZJ Thanks for your taxes

Have a shower, use a tankless. Don’t get GHON-a-Herpa-Laids. Done. People are collectively disgusting.

trailhugger, Scooter402 and Dylan W. like this.
  22. thebrotherinlaw

thebrotherinlaw Well-Known Member

We trekked 7000 miles pulling our first camper in September. We "boondocked" for several nights staying in Cabela's parking lots, Walmart parking lots (don't recommend), the rim of the badlands surrounded by bighorn sheep, in tiny 10 spot camping areas where we opened the windows and fell asleep listening to elk bugle, and we had the time of our lives. For that kind of camping, you need a shower. The folks we bought the camper from always stayed in campgrounds and used the shower stall as a closet. Your call my friend.

GONOVRIT, Jody Treadway and Dylan W. like this.
  23. Willc

Willc Well-Known Member

24. GubNi

GubNi 8 lug disc brakes?

I have had an enclosed trailer for about 5 years. I really enjoy it. It's a gooseneck trailer so I have a queen mattress in the neck part with some extra storage. I put up a divider so I have a small kitchen area. I have no water source at all, but I do have a RV style plug in and breaker box. Most o fthe places we go have electric and a shower house. It works really well for my wife an I. My future upgrades include insulation and roof top heat and air. Right now I have a portable AC unit which does ok.

Dylan W. likes this.
  25. a_kelley

a_kelley mechanical fixer

If they have water you could hook up a hose to and electric, you could pair wiring, water inlet, an instant HWH and faucet valves and drain, and have a shower with no tanks on board.. Just make sure your drain hose has some length to it.

Just a thought