RV Furnace issue

upnover

Grumpy, decrepit Old Man
At the Veterans ride, i had an issue with my RV furnace. In the past, I had noticed that there was some black soot where it exhausted out the side. Well at The Veterans ride, it worked fine, but I woke up in the middle of the night cold. Checked it out, and it was blowing cold. Turned thermostat off, waited a while, turned it back on, and it lit and warmed up. This was repeated a couple of times through out the night.
Any idea on what to look for?

Chip, sorry it took me so long to get to you with some help! The biggest prob with a gas furnace in a RV is mud dobbers nests. Take it apart and clean it out. 99% of the time this is the problem. Also goes for the fridge and water heater. I've had the same happen and bought the SS screen covers and have never had it happen again. Many of my camping friends have said they would not buy the expensive screens and have paid hundreds to have them cleaned out and then bought the screens. I bought all of my ss screens in 1997 and have swapped them as I traded up. Let me know what you find.

Outside, the mud dobbers enter from the outside. If it is not MD, a single strand of spider web can do the same thing and have the same prob. I use pill bottles with a bunch of 1/8th holes with moth balls inside to keep mice and spiders out of my camper. I always put new moth balls in the fall because the mice get cold and can invade it during the winter. I use these pill bottles in every compartment accessible from the outside, even around the motor and gen. Wire is no longer insulated with rubber because of price. It is now covered with a soy based covering that is food to mice. I've heard of horror stories that 1/2 million $ motor homes are ruined when mice moved in and destroyed the wiring. We have mouse traps in our compartments ALWAYS with bait, no poison. I hope it is a simple fix with the furnace, call me if I can help anytime Chip. Let me know what you find.

Back