Rusty shaft

Van-go

Not an old man
Would you run this in a rig that will likely be on 37’s?
It’s a Dana 60 inner long side shaft from a ‘90 f350
Mostly street driven, but when it’s in the trail it will be given hell.

CE59CDD7-A910-4DCD-A606-F06C5EBB7664.jpeg

yes

Cool. Would you TIG the caps to the shafts?

Depends on how they go in. If they are snug and go in well. Full circle rings before I weld them. And I wouldn't tig it, I would just spot it with a mig in 2 places.

Depends on how they go in. If they are snug and go in well. Full circle rings before I weld them. And I wouldn't tig it, I would just spot it with a mig in 2 places.
They went in fine. Nice and tight. I put in regular snap rings cause that’s what I had. No play at all.

Ditch the regular snap rings and get some full circle clips. That way even if those ears stretch/oblong, that cap can’t come out. Just keep a regular check on it. The full circle clip will keep it together for the most part till you notice it. May never even be a problem.

Ditch the regular snap rings and get some full circle clips. That way even if those ears stretch/oblong, that cap can’t come out. Just keep a regular check on it. The full circle clip will keep it together for the most part till you notice it. May never even be a problem.
But you have to machine or grind out the stock shafts for a full circle. That means I have to take them apart...

They went in fine. Nice and tight. I put in regular snap rings cause that’s what I had. No play at all.
Just run them. You will be fine.

By machine you actually mean to flatten the inside of the with a 4.5" cut off wheel don't you?
Cause that's all you need to do.
Yeah... there is not really a flat surface to use as a reference like a good non rusty shaft.
I’m nervous I’ll grind too much out.

you really think my cheap ass would pay for machining? :D
C9DF6555-C461-4C90-9ADB-4E8B2728BC79.jpeg

Last edited:
Clean them up and move on.

Yeah... there is not really a flat surface to use as a reference like a good non rusty shaft.
I’m nervous I’ll grind too much out.

View attachment 305150

Temporarily install a u joint cap. The ring groove becomes your point of reference for grinding, err I mean machining.
Not that I've done the exact thing a few dozen times or anything.

Temporarily install a u joint cap. The ring groove becomes your point of reference for grinding, err I mean machining.
Not that I've done the exact thing a few dozen times or anything.
I like that. Why not, I’ll give it a shot. I need to learn things.
Any issue with cleaning up an older spicer non greasable joint and using it vs buying new?

Heck, run them with regular clips. It'll be fine... They said, but in all honesty.. what kinda power you sending through it? Honestly the factory clips will probably be fine. You carry spares anyway, don't you?

Heck, run them with regular clips. It'll be fine... They said, but in all honesty.. what kinda power you sending through it? Honestly the factory clips will probably be fine. You carry spares anyway, don't you?

My only disagreement with that is many times if the clip comes out and it spits a cap, you may not notice it in time which can easily ruin the shaft.

However probably 85% of people with stock shafts are running the half clips with success, so there’s that.

Yeah I always have spare stuff.

Back