Running D60 CAD without axle shafts

shelby27604

I think I know the answer, but want to confirm.

I ran into an issue with a bent ears on a stub shaft while doing a U-joint job on my 1996 Ram 2500. I won't be able to source a new stub shaft until the weekend. Can I just pull both front axle shafts, and drive the truck without them in place? I was thinking I would put a pipe plug in the axle tubes to keep them sealed up.

Does the unit bearing need the preload from the stub shaft retention nut for any reason?

I think I know the answer, but want to confirm.

I ran into an issue with a bent ears on a stub shaft while doing a U-joint job on my 1996 Ram 2500. I won't be able to source a new stub shaft until the weekend. Can I just pull both front axle shafts, and drive the truck without them in place? I was thinking I would put a pipe plug in the axle tubes to keep them sealed up.

Does the unit bearing need the preload from the stub shaft retention nut for any reason?
Preload is needed on the unit bearing.
You could take the stubs apart from the rest of the shaft and run that way.

You have to have the outter shaft in at minimum or the unit bearing will separate, possibly while going down road. Learned the hard way one night with @Curtis_H and he was nearly killed by an oncoming semi.

Back