Round 2: Keepin' up with the Joneses, Mud Devils and Tony Woody

Jody Treadway

Croc wearing fool
She's been a faithful servant of my 4 wheeling hobby for the last 2 years. Aside from a few high steer studs and 2 ujoints, I couldn't be happier with my Ranger. It has taken me on every trail at Harlan, Windrock, Durhamtown, Golden Mountain, The Flats and The Shop and it even made it back to trailer!

My built 44 and 8.8 have served me well even with sticky Treps and a pretty healthy SBF under the hood. But like we all do, it's time to advance to the next level with my rig. The quest for harder lines and more difficult trails has resulted in a pile of parts sitting in my shop (and office and bathroom and mezzanine).

Over the next month or so I'll be installing a HP60 front and a 14 Bolt rear. Hopefully they will hold up to my new 40" Competition Treps and the "little small block" going under the hood :D.

I'm keeping the height, wheelbase and link geometry the same as it flexes like a hooker on qualudes and climbs like a mountain goat with something to prove.

I'll update as I make progress and plan to have it on it's own weight in about 3-4 weeks (slammed in the shop for the next month).

As it was
easy.jpg

As it is currently:
IMG_20151125_185927147.jpg

The heart transplant awaiting it's turn:
woopow.jpg

Very cool. Looking forward to watching this one.

Finished up a JK regear and had some time to tinker on mine today.
Got the front axle stripped down to the bare housing and mocked up under the front. @Pless played mailman and dropped off some suspension goodies from @Barnes 4wd.
Going to tack the LCA mounts in and place the upper tower tomorrow. Next step will be head scratching determining where the trackbar fits best
IMG_20151130_191401250.jpg
IMG_20151130_191518545.jpg
IMG_20151130_191427618.jpg

Last edited:
I ran the numbers once before and according to math, geometry and trig, my truck should fold in on itself.o_O

My Lowers will be flatter, my upper will be parallel to the ground and my trackbar will be just shy of parallel all at ride height.

Now the shit talking will really start.

Go ahead and start looking for another Ranger body to swap on when that one is thrashed. :flipoff2:

Now the shit talking will really start.

Go ahead and start looking for another Ranger body to swap on when that one is thrashed. :flipoff2:

I guess you're right. My truck was kinda like the annoying little brother hanging out with the cool guys with their buggies.
But you wouldn't know anything about that would ya?:D

Subscribed. Aught to be badass Jody when you get it done.
What is the engine going to push out when you're done?

According to my engine builder and the software we've plugged it into it should generate about 425 HP and 380 ft/lb torque. Peak HP is higher in the RPM range as you would think. The torque curve is somewhat flat above 2500 for a smaller displacement engine.
There's no replacement for displacement, but a lot of compression and a thoroughly thought out build plan don't hurt!

I finally had some time to devote to my truck today. I'm closed for the next 2 weeks so I can have a bit of time for my own rig.
Today consisted of getting the rear axle underneath and ride height established. Thanks to Brad @Barnes 4wd I had a pile of goodies for my front and rear suspension. I installed his truss, pinion guard and 13 bolt rear diff cover kit. After welding on some air shock tabs, I installed the rear axle. Still need to weld on the upper CA mounts on the truss, just ran out of time.
Up front I got the front axle installed to finish mocking up the steering and track bar. Excuse the super sweet ratchet strap keeping the body centered on the axle. I'll bend some 1.5" x .250" DOM this week and finish the track bar design. Ride height is now established and I can make some tweaks here and there.
I hope to have it as a roller in another week.
IMG_20151226_110539759.jpg
IMG_20151226_152127944.jpg
IMG_20151226_152104468.jpg
IMG_20151226_152118577.jpg

Last edited:
Those lowers are fucking nice.

Back