Roth IRA question

tkeaton

Master Velocipede Alchemist
anyone using/recommend/ TD Ameritrade?

No minimums (not an issue, but still worth noting) and no maintainence fees (very attractive) are making me want to switch my account.

Additionally, I don't plan to be stationary over the next few years and having a firm with a national presence seems to make more sense and gives peace of mind anytime I would need to speak with someone face to face.

well I like the fact you will have it somewhere you won't have to move...as long as you are gonna invest it and forget it, not try to be smarter than the market and use it to buy/sell all the time, racking up $x trade charges, etc.

Large Cap stocks have earned 12.x-13.x% per year on average since 1929. They have a std deviation which means they go from zero return to as high as 25-30% in any given year, so if you invest wisely now and leave it alone, you are guaranteed a return over the next 20-40 years.

Personally, I just find about 5-6 good mutual funds that have good track records (look in the 5-7 year columns, ignore anything shorter than that) put my money in and don't touch it....

YES...I lost 50% of my balance in the .com burst like everyone else...but what do ya know...I didn't touch it and it is back...when you are 5-10 years out from retirement, start looking for a good point to move from higher risk/return stocks to lower/stable return items like municipal bonds, t-bonds, whatever.

Move some each year, if there is a crash, wait for 3-6 years till it is back up and move over again....that is why you have a 10 year window to do this in.

Boy that is WAY more than you asked for eh? Sorry, I teach Finance at High Pt Univ, just a pet topic for me...

Sam

oh no i appreciate it!

as for the Roth, i am looking at Ameritrade for the above reasons but also to do a small bit of picking and choosing as far as the funds that the IRA will be invested in

as long as i can keep it up around 11% or greater i have no plans to make changes just for poops and grins....ill save the volatile, rapid pace trading for another time :bounce:

Back