RIP Old friend

I don't think I had ever met a nicer guy in the wheeling community than Scott. I am glad that I had the opportunity to know him. RIP.

I've known Scott for some time and he was always gracious to my family and I. He always had a smile and made everyone feel welcome, our community will be less with Scott's absence. Our thoughts and prayers go to his family and all who are saddened with Scott's passing. We will meet again someday in a far better place...Rest in Peace my friend.

Even though we knew it was coming, it still breaks my heart. He done so much for me over the years especially in helping the veterans ride get off the ground. He done so much for the off-road community from building trails in the forest 2 starting the training center and supporting our military. A wonderful Carolina Trailblazers member for many years and a friend that never wavered, I will miss you dearly Scott, I will see you on the trails in heaven brother.

We knew this day would come. We prepared for this day. But regardless of KNOWING, it still knocked the wind out of me when I got the txt

My wife said that him going home to his heavenly father on fathers day is a celebration.....but I can't quite celebrate. She looks for the good in everything. I'm a realist

It hurts

It's a HUGE loss, and I'm beyond saddened.

Scott was one of the most nicest people I have and more than likely ever will meet, I'm truly grateful to have called him a friend. His loss hurts but I know that he is now home in heaven and without pain. He was a role model for many including myself and a pillar to the off-road community. His uncanny ability to stay positive and keep himself composed in situations where most would not never ceased to amaze me and set a great example for not only coaching while on the trail but for life itself. Will never forget that smile, glowing positivity and uplifting spirit he always had.

I found this pic on FB. My family will have this picture on our wall soon.
I remember this day like yesterday, yet it was several years ago. Scott and I were talking about the thrill of racing that old xj behind him with his UORTC stickers proudly displayed on the bent fenders!

Whoever took this picture, please stand up I thank you!
20180617_151055.png

wow...
For probably the first time in 10 years I havent been around NC4x4 for about a month. A death in the family triggered me to really evaluate how and where I spend my time and the internet has gotten less of it.

But I got a couple texts yesterday about Scott and I knew I had to stop by because so many here knew him so much better than I. In coping with our family recent loss one of the most heart lifting experience has been hearing all the warm memories other shared and re-enforcing what I knew about the woman who raised me. For that reason I want to share the following in hopes it one day brings a smile to some close to him.

I first met Scott back when Rob and I were in the thick of the ECORS days. We had been approached by a mutual friend who had asked if we would be willing to allow Scott to borrow a bunch of flagging and fencing material we used for race events. If so Scott would pick it up at the Flats after that next race and keep it until his event. He had this new venture and was having the first "expo" at the field across from the Outpost. Now many may not realize it, but hauling, unloading and storing a few thousand feet or flex barricade wasn't exactly fun. So for someone else to offer to do this for us, well we were more than happy to oblige and that it helped out a good cause was just icing on the cake. That Sunday Scott rolled up to the Flats and he and I met for the first time, I thought. Scott told me he had actually met me twice before, I sheepishly apologized and admitted I didnt remember. That Sunday me Rob (@rockcity )and my son Lane (@Skyhik5jr ) spent most of the day cleaning up and Scott was right there collecting the fencing material and loading it in his truck. I remember Rob and I laughing that we treated the stuff like it had stole from us and Scott seemed to treat it like it was a newborn baby as he folded it and loaded it in his white Nissan (which didnt yet have any decals on it). Scott replied that he was thankful for us allowing him to borrow it and he had to take care of other's property. Stewardship. That sparked a conversation about Tread Lightly! and land conservation that meandered into racing and the ecological impacts of it and our thoughts and concerns etc. Fast forward a month or so to the first URE Jamboree. I remember that Scott made it a point to introduce me to several other people and referenced us allowing him to borrow the fencing. I mean to hear him tell it, you would think we had donated a kidney and paid for the transplant. I mean he was beyond grateful. That afternoon I commented about how grateful he was to either JC or Dylan, (John, I sincerely apologize for lumping you together in my mind :D, Dylan you are welcome for the compliment) I remember asking, why is he so appreciative, why does this seem like such a big deal to him? The answer was "That's just Scott. That's who he is."

Scott and I would talk several times after that. He was one of a small handful I sought counsel from as I was contemplating leaving ECORS. There were several factors at work beyond the obvious. His advice, while personal, was very sage. He asked if I knew Christ. Asked what he said on the matter. I have a ton of respect for Mr. Fields.

RIP, my friend.

I really wish I could find some of my old URE pictures of Scott back in the day. I remembered wheeling with him and some of the CTB crowd when I was a member back in 94 or 95. I absolutely loved Scott’s white Dodge and the green D90. I’m going to make it a point to look this weekend to find those pictures.

I’d say Scott was a notable reason I kept wheeling and helped drive my enjoyment of the sport and the fellowship. I always enjoyed and respected what he had to say. He will be truly missed.

Last edited:
I took one of the first of the Off Road 101 classes he held back in2012-2013 ish. Great guy and he will be missed. Wheel in peace.

A little nostalgia..... the first two photos of Scott were taken back when we were building the corduroy bridges... no idea what year, and I can't remember the names. The military truck belonged to Tony Casey (white-T & ball cap). The other two are just some odd photos Darlene has collected. We may have a few more, but they are buried deep among many, many others. I also have a video of Greg Spencer, Darlene/myself, and Scott in his Land Rover riding together at Callantee in 2004, but it appears I can not upload an .avi file.

Scott-1.jpg Scott-2.jpg Scott-3.jpg Scott-4.jpg

Back