Reverse Rotation 44 - 5.38 ??'s

93JXJ

Going to full width Ford Axles in my XJ (79 Bronco - yes, cast, going to run extended heim joint radius arms) and want to know if anyone has any experience with Dana 44 High Pinion 5.38 gears.
I know a few people running 5.13's and they hold up pretty well. I'm running 4.88's in my D30/D44 combo with 33's, but I'm going to 37's and would like a little more gear with the automatic.
Anyway - 5.13 or 5.38 (trail rig only)? Just care about strength.
Thanks!

Well I ran 5.38 gears in my d44 with 38tsl for about a year with no prob...and yes it was hp d44 out of a eb.Now I've up graded to a d60 with 5.38's.

I wouldn't bother spending the money to re-gear from 4.88 to 5.13 or whatever.. That's alot of money for little gain. Especially in a trail rig.

I went from 4.86s to 5.38s with my TJ and it was a great move. (running 37s at the time)

The 5.38s in my HP44 never had an issue.

The Bronco will have 3.5 gears stock. If you run a doubler that would essentially give you a 7.0 gear. If it's a trailer queen that's the way to go. If it sees some highway you may want to put 3.08 or 2.73 gears in them with the doubler. The thing about 2.73 to 3.5 gears is that generally you can get them for free if you will pay shipping.

GubNi said:
The Bronco will have 3.5 gears stock. If you run a doubler that would essentially give you a 7.0 gear. If it's a trailer queen that's the way to go. If it sees some highway you may want to put 3.08 or 2.73 gears in them with the doubler. The thing about 2.73 to 3.5 gears is that generally you can get them for free if you will pay shipping.

That defeats the purpose of a doubler

Back