Rescue Tellico – This Is More Than A One Person Job!

J.C.

Volunteer
I only frequent three forums, SFWDA, NC4x4 and occasionally Pirate4x4, but I think that between those forums I get a general feel for the pulse of the 4WD community.

The pulse I’ve detected is weak and tired! I know a lot of you have given up. A lot of you have written emails and letters and feel it was of no use. A lot of you don’t care. But the fact of the matter is that that is just what TU(Trout Unlimited), the SELC (Southern Environmental Law Center) and the USFS (U.S. Forest Service) are counting on in their effort to close the trails in the Upper Tellico OHV area!

The fact is that the fight is just beginning! If you check out my post on the appeals process, you will see that we are right in the middle of the battle! I believe that if the trails are closed permanently, it will be because the 4WD community lacked to fortitude to stand up and fight for their rights.

Here is what we, the 4WD community, must do in order to fight to Rescue Tellico.

1) The letter, email and phone campaign of the pre-decisional process must be ramped back up!

2) Our elected officials must be contacted and made aware of the issues, facts and our position!

3) Media outlets, radio, TV, newspaper & magazine must be made aware of the same!

4) The general public, Mr. & Mrs. non-4WD user, must be made aware of the same and how this decision will impact their future use of our public Forests!

5) Anyone who commented on the issue during the comment period of the FS decisional process can appeal this decision of closure! Anyone who wants to and has the ability shouldclick herefor information on how to write an appeal on this decision. An appeal is required of anyone who would consider bringing legal action in the future. You can bet that TU/SELC will be filing several appeals to protect their interests!

6) Fundraising – I know no one wants to hear this, especially in these economic times, but the fact is that barring our appeal being upheld, we will need money to support litigation.

Basically what we are looking at is fighting the same battle we just fought, again! The same things we did to try and influence the FS decision will now have to be done again to try and influence the appeal decision!

The questions is: Will the 4wd community stand up and fight for their rights, again, or will it tuck its tail between its legs, give up on Tellico and go ride somewhere else?

Back