Replacing drill chuck

mbalbritton

#@$%!
B9EC6782-F8A6-490F-ABBF-C8DC8BA737DE.jpeg
anyone every been able to replace a drill chuck? Any one I’ve ever tried I either strip the screw head, strip the driver, or in last nights case, break the driver off in the screw.

Oh how the tutorial videos make it look just sooooooo easy.

I did it once many years ago.

It's probably a left-handed screw. Are you sure you're turning it the proper direction? I know my big corded Milwaukee and most other ones I've seen are left handed, but I don't know if that's a standard thing or not and I don't usually swap chucks on cordless stuff.

Edit: Google says Dewalt are left hand thread, and your Torx driver twist says you're assuming it's right-handed threads.

There's your problem.

Last edited:
Yep. Left hand thread.
I've replaced it in that very drill. Ordered the screw from dealt. Since its a tiny, left handed one you won't find it anywhere.

Impact gun to remove the chuck after screw is out.
Mine came right off.
The chuck is also left-hand threaded onto the gun body.
Why?

... bc that's the opposite direction of the action of drilling. If it wasn't, then it's would be too easy for that screw and the chuck to unthread itself when the drill bit gets stuck.

I learned this when my old B&D drill broke off the screw head, and the chuck kept unthreading on me.

I guess that's possible. It would make sense the screw and chuck be different directions right?
I'm sitting here trying to visualize which way the force is on the chuck when you have the drill facing away from you and into something... but beer is making it hard o_O

What ^ said. The screw should just be backup for unscrewing stuff.

Back