repairing a spun housing

kcarroll

Trying to finish putting all my junk back together and I believe the 8.8 I picked up has a spun housing. Doesn't really look all that bad, maybe an 1-1.5". Wish the fella (Brandon from Hickory) I had bought it from had been upfront about it, but that is months ago now. Could the tubes be welded now to prevent this from happening again and just move the spring perch? Any recommendations on where to get it fixed? Anybody here on the board think they could fix it?

Kevin

Don't the tubes have a flange at the end of them? I would think you wouldn't want the tubes spun because of that...

Yes, there are flanges on the ends of the tubes. They will need to be returned to the original position before welding.

Hard to say w/o seeing it, but it (probably) can be fixed if it is.

Why do you think it is spun?
Are the rosette welds broken or are the perches pointed on different planes or what?

If there isn't anyone closer to you, I can fix it.

Straighten and weld the tubes to the housing so it doesn't happen again.

The spring perches, shock mounts, etc are all rotated slightly on one side. This is a drum brake 8.8 that already has soa/sua perches on it. A friend in Charlotte says he can fix it, so I will proably be loading it up and trucking it down there. I need to call him and talk about it. Haven't really had anybody local say they could fix it, not really even sure what it should cost to fix yet. But then again, I am not in any hurry as I have picked the money tree clean in the last month ... lol.

My YJ has been torn down for the last 2.5 years, very frustrating to get to this point and realize this now. I've had this axle on a pallet for almost a year. In my mind, it was ready to go ... just gotta finish the motor/tranny, finish the beadlocks and buy tires ... yeah right. Now all of that is done, need to figure out the rear springs and swap this 8.8 in, damnit, damnit, damnit ......

Bright side is, it runs and drivers great. Tagged and insured, now I just need to pull the iroks off and put them in the garage and put the 33's back on. Boy that sure will knock the wind out of it for ya. :beer:

Back