Remembering Tellico

Isn't that the same night you and Josh went swimming in the tellico river?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Indeed. Josh was trashed and I didn’t want him to die so I went in after him. Good times!

Found some more
7303530143_large.jpg
7303530144_large.jpg
7303530142_large.jpg
7303530121_large.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Loaded for the drive up from Durham, knew i couldnt pull Black Mountain on the big tires (still had 4.10s) so i drove up on 235s and swapped at the camp site
IMG_3621.jpg

Fains Ford?
IMG_3659.jpg

some other crossing...
IMG_3678.jpg

me on Guardrail
IMG_3710.jpg

Josh on Upper 2? @Pinkston in the foreground
IMG_3717.jpg

i think this is josh coming down schoolbus?
IMG_3727.jpg

unknowm
IMG_3730.jpg

It really sucks that ill never be able to take my kids there someday....

Never made it before it closed did right the backside of the moutain when duramtown had made a deal with the hunting lodge the terrain is amazing up there for sure i was there at the same time as ultimate adventure to bad the logging deal ended up shutting it down also i think you can still ride there if you buy there 1500 dollar a year membership like it was before durhamtown got involved

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Loaded for the drive up from Durham, knew i couldnt pull Black Mountain on the big tires (still had 4.10s) so i drove up on 235s and swapped at the camp site
View attachment 261552

Fains Ford?
View attachment 261553

some other crossing...
View attachment 261554

i think this is josh coming down schoolbus?
View attachment 261557

unknowm
View attachment 261558

That other crossing is the one on trail 5 that they built a bridge over. It's still there in the woods.... The first picture might be Fains Ford it's hard to tell. That is definitely School Bus going down.

I haven't been wheeling since about 2010; but still frequent this site. All my photos in various online photo albums seem to be long gone but I still have several Youtube videos from the Cherokee Crawl in 2007:

Helicopter Pad:

Guardrail:

several more videos here
Tim67580
nice....good driving in these vids. This is more my style of wheeling. XJ's are some dang capable rigs built and driven right!

nice....good driving in these vids. This is more my style of wheeling. XJ's are some dang capable rigs built and driven right!

Thanks-
I dont know what it was but that particular XJ setup seemed to keep up with alot more built rigs (But I know everyone with an XJ says that) and go just about anywhere you pointed it. Spool out back, locker up front, 5.5in lift, q78 TSL's, Gutted interior no trim, no dash, etc and a full cage. I've been kicking around the idea of getting a TJ to ride around Uwharrie in but just about anywhere else I'd want to wheel requires a tow rig and too many hours of vacation time.

-Tim

So anybody that has wheeled Tellico knows the weather can change at a moments notice. Well it was about 4pm when our group made it to slick rock (trail #9). The sun disappeared and all of a sudden it started pouring down rain. I mean a hard nasty rain. It did this for about 45 minutes and then stopped and the sun came back out. Well we thought what the heck we are here lets try it. It took our group the next 7 hours to get up slick rock and the muddy hill climb to the top of the trail. Another hour to get out of the trail system and into town. So at midnight we made it to the Waffle King wet, muddy, tired, and hungry. The first 2 photos are of slick rock.
PICT0018.JPG

PICT0019.JPG

Creek crossing.
PICT0020.JPG

The Motley Crew. I think this was taken during the Tellico 2K summer event. Starting from the left you have:
Mike Z, Richard Q, Tom W, John F, Cameron M, John M, and Me.
PICT0021.JPG

So anybody that has wheeled Tellico knows the weather can change at a moments notice. Well it was about 4pm when our group made it to slick rock (trail #9). The sun disappeared and all of a sudden it started pouring down rain. I mean a hard nasty rain. It did this for about 45 minutes and then stopped and the sun came back out. Well we thought what the heck we are here lets try it. It took our group the next 7 hours to get up slick rock and the muddy hill climb to the top of the trail. Another hour to get out of the trail system and into town. So at midnight we made it to the Waffle King wet, muddy, tired, and hungry. The first 2 photos are of slick rock.
View attachment 261675
View attachment 261676
Creek crossing.
View attachment 261679
The Motley Crew. I think this was taken during the Tellico 2K summer event. Starting from the left you have:
View attachment 261680
GOD we were skinny!!!!

#TBT to the '04 NAXJA Cherokee Crawl.

Kieth Douglas spotting me down Upper 2.
5.jpg

Rons's Beast of an XJ on Lower 2.

15.jpg

Mark 2offroad working his way up Slickrock...

10.jpg

Mark Ayers fixing a bent tie rod on Guardrail. Kieth supervising...

24.jpg

Mark proudly displaying his handi work!

22.jpg

View attachment 261675
View attachment 261676
Creek crossing.
View attachment 261679
View attachment 261680
That was a blast I remember going up School Bus and snapping my rear axle the first 100 yards, went to a one piece, (bought from Paul Farmer) fixed in the hotel parking lot, to hit maybe guardrail the next day.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

First time I went was in November 2000 we arrived and it was 70 degrees we went to bed an woke up with an inch of snow on the tent and 30 degrees. By 3 pm it was 60 degrees. Crazy weather sometimes

I'll try to find pics. I'm sure there are still some leftover on a undeveloped disposable camera somewhere in the attic!

Started going to several Dixie Runs there back in like '94 and a few other misc trips mixed in. Me in my CJ5 and full size bronco and a Dustin (#4472) in his FJ40 and @crawldawg in his Toyota pickup. Good times.

Back