Reflections

Ron

Dum Spiro Spero
[Sorry, this is a vent/ theraputic post and a tribute to a dear friend, for those here that knew him...you understand]
T
his morning just before 10AM my brother in law, William "Bubba" Brakefield, lost a 2 year battle with cancer.

He was only 27

More than just being my wife's brother, he was my best friend.

We taught each other how to wrench on junk. He had learned the basics of how to weld while going to a tech high school 2 years in Ohio (where his mom lived) and was really a jack of all trades.

It is funny how a high school drop out, taught me so many things. Anyone who knew him knew how far out of his way he would go to help you out.

We wheeled together, wrenched together, partied together, were in each others weddings...we were as close as brothers.

When we both were starting out neither of us had a pot to piss in, and both had beat up old chevy trucks. We lost many nights sleep putting each others trucks back together just so we could make it to work the next day. We taught ourselves how to rebuild trannys when his burned up and we could not pool enough money together, to pay for a rebuild. We were literally inseparable for a few years.

One of my foundest memories was a night we shared which probably got me hooked on wheeling. One night in high school we were headed out to a fishing hole, (where we had permission to be) and got stuck in this huge rut. (the access road wasnt much to speak of) so we called a friend with a rope and a chain and hours later finally got the old truck out. Unfortunately how we ever got that far down the washed out road is beyond me, because the rest of the night (iver 5 hours) the 2 trucks repetitively pulled each other out of stucks... And as aggravating as it was at the time, it was still a ball and one we often look back on fondly.

In October 2004 he was diagnosed with Rabdomyrosarcoma, a maliscious form of cancer that attacks primarily only children under 5 years old. There have been less than 100 adult diagnosis on record. When he drove out to the Cancer Treatment Center of America back in December (only after all local doctors had given up hope), they said he was the first patient they had ever seen.

This morning The Lord called him home. All I can say is there is one hell of a good man in heaven now. Rest in Peace my brother. And please don't stain all those Golden Streets with burnouts before I get there....

Ron, I am very sorry for your loss. It definitely sounds as if he was more than a brother. If we all could say we had someone in our lives as you did, we could all say we are rich.

God saw he was getting tired and a cure was not to be
He put his arms around him and whispered, "come with me"
With tearful eyes we watched him suffer and saw him fade away
Although we loved him dearly, we could not make him stay.
A golden heart stop beating, small frail hands at rest
God broke our hearts to prove to us
He only takes the best
AUK

Sorry to hear it bro...

Back