Red YJ Build

was this thing sitting outside or friday or saturday? im pretty sure i drove past it on my way home.

Sure was. My garage enters from behind the house so the Jeep is parked outside there when not being worked on.

Nice work man.
YJ's make such a great platform for what you're building. Nice touches too.
Beware that ratchet strap track bar. It works great to the left but fails miserably to the right

To overcome the single sided control of a ratchet strap track bar, you simply add a second one in the opposite direction. Works like a charm :D

To overcome the single sided control of a ratchet strap track bar, you simply add a second one in the opposite direction. Works like a charm :D

Did with my Jeep in Fish Fossil when it had a Bluetooth track bar mount. o_O

Parts have taken longer to ship than I anticipated. As of now I've received the brake parts (cailpers, MC, and mounting brackets), and the engine bracket. Still waiting on Motobilt to ship the diff cover. I got the MC bled and installed. Also got the driver's side caliper, pads, and lines run. Went to do the passenger side only to find that the caliper mounting bracket they shipped me was cross threaded. Luckily @Chris_Keziah has a spare bracket in the shop I can use.

No real pictures to share except how I mounted the brake lines from the frame to the caliper. The brake lines I used are for 08-14 Super Duty's. I actually won them in a raffle a few years back and they have been sitting on a shelf collecting dust until now.

IMG_2800[1].JPG

Got the rear wheel cylinders, and brake lines installed. Got the brakes bled but will probably go at it again because I think it can be better. Also got the rear tail lights in. @Chris_Keziah let me use his weather pack kit so I could reuse the factory connectors. Came out great and no random wires floating around.

As I get closer to finishing up the rear, I need to find someone who can sand and paint the rear corners. Right now they just have some rattle can primer on them. I'm looking to color match with the factory paint. If anyone has any suggestions on decent shops, let me know.

CEEBA460-EFD7-4DE5-8237-871A2770A650.jpeg

Got the rear wheel cylinders, and brake lines installed. Got the brakes bled but will probably go at it again because I think it can be better. Also got the rear tail lights in. @Chris_Keziah let me use his weather pack kit so I could reuse the factory connectors. Came out great and no random wires floating around.

As I get closer to finishing up the rear, I need to find someone who can sand and paint the rear corners. Right now they just have some rattle can primer on them. I'm looking to color match with the factory paint. If anyone has any suggestions on decent shops, let me know.

View attachment 320425

Same guy that straightened your frame can paint too. @southern

In preparation for the steering ram that should be here next week, I decided to do weld on high steer. Initially I was just going to run to the factory arm on the knuckle but Offroad Anonymous sells a kit that looked nice and was reasonably priced. Tonight I tackled that project. Wasn’t too bad. I do wish I had planned this ahead of time as it would have been much easier and faster to weld on with the axle disassembled. Had to go slow to make sure I was pumping too much heat into the knuckle and associated parts.

anyways, got it done and rolled the Jeep back out of the garage. Also installed a Motobilt diff cover.

C384C466-DEDD-4BE3-88F9-C4177A669C87.jpeg

75490208-BC59-44A2-9837-65816C4B09CA.jpeg

38167F8B-B260-426C-B41A-ED7ED96443C1.jpeg

0F703833-F71C-4546-8B24-4C34C24452EF.jpeg

I made the journey all the way up to Adams place to give him a hand. This rig is gonna be really sweet when it’s done!

We got the TMR double ended ram steering cradle fitted up and ready to go on, and Adam got to test his measurements at full bump and discovered that it was all dead nutts perfect and everything clears
604E0233-A172-4F62-B257-E9638B35FBB8.jpeg

I made the journey all the way up to Adams place to give him a hand. This rig is gonna be really sweet when it’s done!

We got the TMR double ended ram steering cradle fitted up and ready to go on, and Adam got to test his measurements at full bump and discovered that it was all dead nutts perfect and everything clears

Thanks again for making the trip up to lend a hand and be a sound board for me to bounce ideas off of. Hoping to get the ram mount burned in tonight or tomorrow morning. Also, when Phillip says everything was perfect, it really couldn't have gotten any closer without major conflicts in space. Radiator to truss clearance is about 1", trackbar to diff cover is about 1/8", and upper link mount to radiator is about 3/4". Once the ram mount is on, and ram installed, there will be about 1/2" clearance between the ram and trackbar.

Thanks again for making the trip up to lend a hand and be a sound board for me to bounce ideas off of. Hoping to get the ram mount burned in tonight or tomorrow morning. Also, when Phillip says everything was perfect, it really couldn't have gotten any closer without major conflicts in space. Radiator to truss clearance is about 1", trackbar to diff cover is about 1/8", and upper link mount to radiator is about 3/4". Once the ram mount is on, and ram installed, there will be about 1/2" clearance between the ram and trackbar.

Sounds well engineered!

And today’s shop help comes in the form of 4 legs. This is my 3 y/o pit who’s making sure no squirrels come and sabotage my build.

View attachment 323094
Any chance you know of a lab and want to breed that dog? Lab/pit mix will be my next dog (after the wife gets her damn golden-doodle).

Any chance you know of a lab and want to breed that dog? Lab/pit mix will be my next dog (after the wife gets her damn golden-doodle).

She's already had her baby making items taken so no breeding for her. Besides, she's batshit crazy haha. Loves people (never met a stranger) but only gets along with one other animal, our 8 y/o boxer.

Got the ram mount finished and bolted it down. Also got the tie rods made. It’s a tight package but everything clears. I’ve still got about 3/8” to 1/2” of useable ram so I’ll grind down the stops on the knuckles. Tires clear the arms by a mile so more steering angle will be had.

the orbital is here and waiting to be mounted. I’ve got to order some fittings and measure for hoses and then the steering will be ready for a test.

22DCCA3F-E05F-464A-9E1C-B00610EA084C.jpeg
D3B88BB7-9567-4E65-AC92-69A84271FDC5.jpeg
D11021C5-BBB6-4DB1-88F1-55342B6FE7BC.jpeg
3FB7A0BA-C3E4-4992-90EB-DA5A06A05BD7.jpeg
CF094512-EFEC-4E6C-878C-35E566D4BA23.jpeg

Back