Recovery Point Options

Croatan_Kid

How's your hammer hangin'?
I want to add some beefy recovery points on the front of my K30. They'll likely be used more often as an anchor for the winch cable though.

My original idea was to notch in to the face of the bumper and weld shackle mounts to the side of the bumper brackets and then weld around them and to the face of the bumper. This would have the least amount of weld.

My next thought was to do the same thing, but inside the bumper brackets and on top of the winch cradle. It may interfere with one or two bolt heads and the winch pretty much fills up the entire cradle. However, they would tie the bumper brackets and winch cradle together and it'd be very strong. Weld would be along the top, back, bottom, inside of the bumper face, and outside of the bumper face. All of this is the thickest part of the bumper.

Third idea was to snag some 90° mounts and weld them on the outside (front face and bottom) of the winch cradle and not have to mess with cutting in to the bumper. Also welded to the thickest part of the bumper and around a pretty strong bend.

FWIW, this is dealing with a Warn Classic bumper on my K30 with an M12000. The winch cradle/center section is either ¼" or ⁵/¹⁶". I'll post some pics of the bumper and links to the shackle mounts I'd be using from Ruff Stuff.

Idea 1 would go to the right of the weld (as shown), idea 2, to the left and inside the winch cradle, and idea 3 in the same place, but without being cut through the bumper.

20201202_232126.jpg

20201202_232452.jpg

20201202_232144.jpg

20201202_232429.jpg

Here's the mounts I'd use.

Straight ones for idea 1 and 2: Bumper Clevis

90 degree for idea 3. They'd be upside down from how they're shown with the longer leg welded to the bottom side of the winch cradle.: Bumper Clevis Mount - 90 Degree

What do you guys think? I don't really WANT to take the winch back out or take the bumper off again, but if I have to...oh well. The more I look at it, I think #3 would be my best bet. I could also move the straight mounts inward some and weld all the way around the bottoms. There will probably be between 2 and 2½" of the mount going through the bumper anyway. It may not even reach far enough back to do much help tying the bumper brackets to the winch cradle.

Last edited:
Personally I'm stuck between #2 and #3. I'd say #2 would be the strongest, if everything was welded all around, didn't leave any cut areas not welded back to the clevis mount. Side loads would definitely be more secure if the clevis mount was welded to the bumper mount on the inside (even if it were only a couple inches).

But on the other hand, obviously #3 would be aesthetically the cleanest. Frankly, with a multipass weld, I don't think it would be going anywhere. I'm assuming that's how you'd do it. I mean, let's face it - that is a 1" thick mount, so you could hang the entire truck from it anyway.

So after talking myself through it, I think I'm with you on #3.

Anybody else have some ideas or opinions on this?

Back