Receiver Hitch Recommendations...

Caver Dave

Just holdin' it down here in BFV
Now that I bought a trailer, guess it's time to add a receiver hitch so I can tow it? :rolleyes:

Anyways, what's everyone's recommendations?

Tower: '92 F250 (reg. cab/LB/4x4..currently has B&W gooseneck/Tenkosha Voyager controller) currently licensed at 13K#s (figured trailered weight was 5500# + 7500# very liberal calculation for the truck = 13K#??)
Towed: 16' flat deck trailer (with 3500# axles/elctric brakes on 1...GW @ 1500#)... Jeep is close to 4000#s according to dump scales.

I'm pretty sure there's no need to go ClassV (2 1/2" recceiver)... OR is everyone else towing trailers/rigs with ClassIII/IV's illegally? Seems like the factory hitches on the new SuperDuty's are only ClassIII? My main objective is to *SAFELY* tow my junk & NOT give the insurance companies any leverage should there be any "issues"..

What ya'll think? (be sure to include some reasoning :D )

Pretty sure I can move the Jeep fore & aft on the trailer (should be long enough) to vary tongue weight. I'm familiar with "weight distributing"/"equalizer" hitches, I'm unsure if it's a requirement. I see hundreds of rigs being towed on plain receivers (most weigh considerably more than mine). My dad hauled a 27' TT (*at least* 5000#) behind a '69 Pontiac Catalina in the early '70s using a WD hitch w/o any issues. OTOH, this truck weighs more than the old "widetrack" and was made to haul loads (as opposed to people).

Dave I use a home made class IV type. never a problem. It attaches to my frame in more locations than a Reece. It is heavier Tube than a Reece too. My biggest concern is the ball. Make sure it is a good American made with a high rating. As big a shank as you can find.

Same goes for the tow bar. Most of the ones you'll find are only rated to 3500# or something. I've folded a few lesser bars before.

Well, I bought a "biggy" for *less than a Class III*!! Weird thing is...it came from the local "little shop of bling" (famous for chromed out trucks, SUVs, ...gulp....Jeeps)! :rolleyes:

I was about to purchase online, but decided to check around locally (I'm getting bigger on haveing someone to point at when somethings wrong these days :D )... called 3 other shops & figure WTH? Can't hurt to ask... Ended up buying a Putnam Class V...outta Michigan (15K dead tow, 17K WD) +tax for less than internet pricing + S&H...

It's a freakin MONSTER! 3/8" plates & 1/4" wall tube...hope to have it on by next week. Will post some pics when it's finished

:beer:

Dave, you may want to try your local RV dealer. I was shocked that I could get recievers cheaper there than anywhere I looked.

Just a thought.

Nice score Caver! That will be good if you ever need to use a hitch extension...

So what are the factory hitches on the Superdutys rated? If nobody knows, I'll just check when I get home...

What year? the '05's have the 15k 2.5" ones...

It should have a sticker right on it. They're usually 500/5,000, and 1000/10,000 with weight dist. bars.

Back