RE 4.5 CJ Lift Question

adman02

I have a 1983 Scrambler with an AMC 304 swapped in. Will also be running an 8274 winch.

I recently bought the Rubicon Express 4.5 lift (haven't installed it yet). The kit comes with 5-leaf springs for the front and 6-leaf springs for the rear - both 2.5" wide. I've read a lot online that the 5-leaf springs will sag under all that weight (V8 + heavy winch). Is this a legit concern? If so, is it possible to swap the spring packs - run the rear spring packs up front and vice versa? Is there a different/better solution other than buy a second set of 6-leaf springs?

So, without me looking up the kit, it converts the front to 2.5" springs? If that's true, you could swap them. Pretty sure they are the same length. You won't know what they look like until installed, like @frankenyoter said. I don't think i would add an add a leaf to a4.5" pack though. Install them correctly, then switch if needed.

Sent from my SM-J737A using Tapatalk

Years back, I installed 2.5" lift, O Man Emu springs, on my CJ. They were 2" wide, & suppose to be soft ride. V-8 engine, & heavy bumper, but no winch. Rear spring came with the short bottom overload leaf. After installing, the rear sat higher. I took the overload out, to level it. Took a few wheeling trips & some miles, to break in the springs. Started out Harsh, but finally softened. Few years later, the rear seemed to be sagging a bit, & getting bouncy. I put the overload back in; problem solved. At some point, I added a moderate size 8K winch, with no noticeable difference.
I agree with the others, install them, break them in some, & see what you have.

Back