RCV leaking grease?

89wrangler

Not a new member
I installed RCV axle shafts in the front of the JK. The left side likes to sling grease out of the plastic cup. The left does not. is this normal? maybe too much grease? Thanks

Just wipe it off and keep on rolling. In my limited RCV experience I'd say there was a touch too much grease in it.

RCV's aren't for daily drivers.

Yeah you can drive hiway speeds with them, but it's not something you want to do often for extended periods.

The grease will heat up and sling out

RCV's aren't for daily drivers.

Yeah you can drive hiway speeds with them, but it's not something you want to do often for extended periods.

The grease will heat up and sling out

Now you tell me....o_O

Now you tell me....o_O
Sorry...didnt see it before now :(

When I was contemplating them Dave at Oliver's heard me say that I may drive it up to western to see my boy...and told me then I needed to consider just chromos if I were going to do that often at all.

Decided at that point that 45 min to URE would be about as far as I drove it on the road since I HAD a tow rig and trailer already

The jeep is not my daily driver, but I built/ building it to be very street able to drive to and from trails if I choose. Depending where I wheel, I do have a tow rig and trailer as well.

Got this from RCV website

Can I use RCV axles for my daily driver?
A: Yes, Just add grease every other oil change!

I wil let you know how the drive out and back from Moab goes in March. Guess I will keep a grease gun and a rag handy.... lol

Last edited:
I wil let you know how the drive out and back from Moab goes in March. Guess I will keep a grease gun and a rag handy.... lol

Axle shafts aren’t hard to swap. Just run a factory set till you’re out there and then swap for the drive back. If anything else you have a set of trail spares too.

Dumb question on these...What if I use lock out hubs? Then none of that spins....correct??
if you have a transfer case that has a 2wd mode & you have lock out hubs, then yes, they would not rotate with the hubs unlocked and in 2wd. If you're transfer case only has 4hi and 4lo, it will still rotate, but force will not be transmitted through the axles. Hope that's clear as mud. And there's no such thing as a dumb question. Simple, perhaps, but if you're asking a question, to find an answer you don't know, it's actually smart.

Back