Raptor Liner FAQs

YJJPWrangler

Looking to do raptor liner in the interior of the Willys once I pull the cage out. I can find a kit that will cover the entire interior that comes with a spray gun for around 130 from amazon. My question is, do I need to spray epoxy primer in addition to scuffing the area? Apparently epoxy primer is super hard to get right now and amazon is showing 3-4 weeks of lead time on it. From Raptors website, I shouldn't have to spray the epoxy primer if I sand the interior and if I spray the interior with the primer, I don't have to scuff it.

Would like to hear from first hand experience on this. Any tips or tricks?

My experience has only been on clean aluminum. We acid etched, scuffed, alcohol prep clean, and used the etching primer. We did all this to paint already.

I worked for a place doing spray in bed liners as well.

My experience from both was a step skipped always bit us in the arse.

Clean, sand, clean, prime, shoot. You'll get a much better bond and corrosion inhibitor. No use skipping a step and finding a layer of moisture and rust chewing through your hard work.

At the recommendation of BroncobyBart, I have had really good success with SPI expoxy. They also ship quick.

I sprayed spi epoxy then scuffed it up really good before I laid down the raptor lining. So far its head up well.

Looking to do raptor liner in the interior of the Willys once I pull the cage out. I can find a kit that will cover the entire interior that comes with a spray gun for around 130 from amazon. My question is, do I need to spray epoxy primer in addition to scuffing the area? Apparently epoxy primer is super hard to get right now and amazon is showing 3-4 weeks of lead time on it. From Raptors website, I shouldn't have to spray the epoxy primer if I sand the interior and if I spray the interior with the primer, I don't have to scuff it.

Would like to hear from first hand experience on this. Any tips or tricks?
Go to your local autobody supply store, they'll likely have all the epoxy primer you need. Is there a National Coatings and Supplies near you?

I would personally coat it with SOMETHING before any liner. I wouldn't rely on the liner to seal it, and you definitely want to scuff it first, no matter what you put under the liner.

Your steps should be: Sand/scuff interior. Prime/coat with whatever. Sand/scuff that. Liner. Forget what they say about not sanding, that's BS. It's always better for any coating to have something to "grip". Don't trust the chemical bond with dissimilar products. If you had everything from the same company, maybe. But otherwise? Scuff it. Can't go wrong that way and have it peeling up later on.

BTW, scuff it AND wipe the hell out of it with solvent as well.

I was able to get epoxy primer delivered before the actual raptor liner. I do need to degrease the interior before doing anything though. I have a wide range of sandpaper, probably going to use 80 grit or so. By hand or with my orbital?

Which epoxy did you get? I generally just follow the TDS (Technical Data Sheet) its generally on the company's website.

I was able to get epoxy primer delivered before the actual raptor liner. I do need to degrease the interior before doing anything though. I have a wide range of sandpaper, probably going to use 80 grit or so. By hand or with my orbital?
Orbital is fine for what you're doing and won't work you to death like doing it by hand. Don't think you need anything as rough as 80 grit, though.

Back