Random Thoughts.....

What does spring under do to that equation?
Itll look like an S when youre getting on it with that much torque. Hell they do it bad enough with just rear lift blocks. Ive had a few f250s, the other issue with wjheeling them especially with stock leaves is suspension travel is pretty small. Itd be ok for power line trail, but itll suck in the rocks. Before i got my current f150 crawler, I wheeled my 03 with a 6" lift on powerlines and in ure a few times. It was pulling tires off the ground constantly, no travel.

Custom link suspension and coilovers would make a bad ass fullsize crawler though.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Itll look like an S when youre getting on it with that much torque. Hell they do it bad enough with just rear lift blocks. Ive had a few f250s, the other issue with wjheeling them especially with stock leaves is suspension travel is pretty small. Itd be ok for power line trail, but itll suck in the rocks. Before i got my current f150 crawler, I wheeled my 03 with a 6" lift on powerlines and in ure a few times. It was pulling tires off the ground constantly, no travel.

Custom link suspension and coilovers would make a bad ass fullsize crawler though.

Years ago, there was a guy at Harlan wheeling a fullbody FJ80. He basically swapped the stock axles for portals and long arms. Otherwise the suspension and truck was stock on 38s. That thing was awesome and did extremely well.

Hmm. So in my theoretical truck build I would still want to use it as a "truck". So the front could go full coilover linked suspension as the "load" up there is unchanging, just an engine, bumper, winch. The back would still do hauling duties though so the load is changing from empty bed, to bed w/ camper top, to bed w/ mulch, pulling a trailer, etc. It would still be empty probably 85% of the time, but to say it would remain that way is unrealistic and wouldn't be my intent for the truck.

So what, $10k to do the portal conversion, $5k for front coilover conversion at stock height and a rear traction bar, $2k for tires? Plus a truck?

Or, I could just do the portal conversion and rock the stock suspension plus traction bars for a while.. that would only be ~$12k

This is where my brain goes when I'm overwhelmingly busy at work BTW.

Hmm. So in my theoretical truck build I would still want to use it as a "truck". So the front could go full coilover linked suspension as the "load" up there is unchanging, just an engine, bumper, winch. The back would still do hauling duties though so the load is changing from empty bed, to bed w/ camper top, to bed w/ mulch, pulling a trailer, etc. It would still be empty probably 85% of the time, but to say it would remain that way is unrealistic and wouldn't be my intent for the truck.

So what, $10k to do the portal conversion, $5k for front coilover conversion at stock height and a rear traction bar, $2k for tires? Plus a truck?

Or, I could just do the portal conversion and rock the stock suspension plus traction bars for a while.. that would only be ~$12k

This is where my brain goes when I'm overwhelmingly busy at work BTW.

Who is still peddling those???

Edit.
Found my answer and the need for a bankers purse.....good lawd. I thought after a while if they didn't fold prices would have crept down some

Last edited:
What does spring under do to that equation?
Springs under is waaaay better than spring over. On a standard axle, the axle forces gain leverage by the distance from the centerline of the tube to the face of the big leaf. Figure 3" diameter tube, so for spring under its 1.5" to centerline plus another 1/2" for the spring pad. 2" total. With spring over, you add in the thickness of the spring pack, so you go from 2" to about 4-5".

Adding portals to spring over makes it more like 9-10". It seems possible with spring under that it might not be so bad since it's swapping sides. +2" for the tube, then -5" for the portal should leave a 3" effective distance, which really should not be that different from a standard axle. But it's 11pm on a Friday, so my math and thoughts might be less than perfect.

Last edited:
To add some more math, let's say your engine has 300ftlbs, 4:1 first gear, 2.5:1 tcase, and 4:1 axle. 300x4x2.5x4=12000ftlbs of potential twist on the axle.
From spring face to axle centerline, it's as follows:
At 2", that's 2000lb force
At 3", that's 3000lb force
At 5", that's 5000lb force
At 10", that's 10000lb force

That's also assuming all force goes to one axle, sufficient traction to handle the torque, midnight math is correct, etc

The fact that Quadratec sells these amuses me.

Capture3.PNG

Dumb struck.. was repairing a small (5hp or less) 2 stroke trolling motor that was locked up from water intrusion.. Piston, rings, cylinder, bearings, carb, everything was salvaged, except fuel line and shut off. If it was mine, everything would have needed to be replaced.

Last week I met a very beautiful waitress. Greek girl with the tattoos on her butt. My whole world has been upside down ever since.

Eggs......act.......leee

Last week I met a very beautiful waitress. Greek girl with the tattoos on her butt. My whole world has been upside down ever since.

u know there are a few threads around here where you can provide proof of such

Almost all of the waitresses I "met" in the 80s did'nt have tattoos, and apparently were not from Greece :shaking: .....But I've often thought that a trip to greece might be nice :smokin:

Almost all of the waitresses I "met" in the 80s did'nt have tattoos, and apparently were not from Greece :shaking: .....But I always thought that a trip to greece might be nice :smokin:
Grecian womenses love blonde hair and blue eyes. I've had plenty que me onto that. there are tons of them in Columbia.

Beach....work shoes 99 percent of the time....forget sun screen.....miserable.
Only blessing is one foot has a lot of thick scar tissue from birth.
Looks like more awning naps and beer straight outta the fridge for me.

In 3 hours I will have swam my fifth body of water in one weekend. Wateree, Saluda, broad, Congaree and now Monticello.
I think in gonna be a merman when I grow up.

We Greeks make good women. Though once they breed they turn into gremlins and behave like Satan

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

We Greeks make good women. Though once they breed they turn into gremlins and behave like Satan

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Yes, great concoction for the women production.
^^ that's an odd sentence.
Being intentionally marooned for several hours on an island during a surprise thunderstorm is great at separating the men from the boys, who then go mate with these Greek womenses, repeatedly.
IMG_20170723_195338443.jpg

Yes, great concoction for the women production.
^^ that's an odd sentence.
Being intentionally marooned for several hours on an island during a surprise thunderstorm is great at separating the men from the boys, who then go mate with these Greek womenses, repeatedly.
View attachment 251077

I know it's proby a point, but the aspect and content of the pic makes it look like an island that might be called "Big Beaver" :lol:

Back