Random Thoughts.....

The most dangerous job in the USA?

US President.

8 out of 44 presidents have died in office. (4 illness, 4 assassinated). That's 18% death on the job rate.

(the 44 total includes Trump, although he is #45. Thank Grover Cleveland for that...he served nonconsecutive terms and is #22 and #24)

I should not be this excited about sunglasses. But I finally splurged and bought some nice ones. Carbon fiber frame with magnetic cushion inserts and polarized safety lenses in the darkest shade she could get.

Having to wear them A LOT, I go through a cheap pair every month or two. So I'm pretty stoked to have a nice pair.

617C96FD-34D7-4B69-9442-281ED87D03CE.jpeg

I think we have created a monster. My 9 m/o is now addicted to bojangles fries. Gave him one to try, and ended up having to hide them cause he tried to eat all of them.

Last edited:
Why is it so funny when a dog snores really loudly on your couch, given how irritating it is when it's your spouse

it's not affecting your sleep is why...
While true, it is affecting the solace of my TV watching, which is equally important :D

I think the difference is, I can find room to forgive the dog, b/c he's does everything else I ask him to.
The wife, on the other hand....

Last edited:
Dafuq is wrong with engineers...grabbed this off my buddy’s workbench trying to get some dimensions of my charging handle so he can make me a new piece. Tenths of a frickin inch??? At first just thought the 1/8” marks weren’t extended...then thought aww shit, must be a metric tape. Then realized it was tenths of an inch. Buddy told me this is a common thing??? I stole it so no normal person ever has to deal with whatever hell spawn this is again.

C668D16B-B3E6-40D1-A143-3E8CCC5F2F0E.jpeg
681B88D2-8514-49F0-B904-2026BB06A8A5.jpeg

Why the fuck can't we just have metric and be done with this kind of BS

Dafuq is wrong with engineers...grabbed this off my buddy’s workbench trying to get some dimensions of my charging handle so he can make me a new piece. Tenths of a frickin inch??? At first just thought the 1/8” marks weren’t extended...then thought aww shit, must be a metric tape. Then realized it was tenths of an inch. Buddy told me this is a common thing??? I stole it so no normal person ever has to deal with whatever hell spawn this is again.

View attachment 309254 View attachment 309255
I’ve done a bunch of measuring in my time and I’ve never seen the such. WTF kinda sense does that make to the damn engineer types?

Why the fuck can't we just have metric and be done with this kind of BS
:fuck-you: When I was doing contract work over seas sometimes I would hire local helpers for some projects and I would require them to use inches instead of metric. I mainly did it to piss them off and always said American dollars are paying your ass and we do it by the inch.

Had a guy on my crew from south La that was one of the best electrical workers I’ve ever had the pleasure to work with and learn from. Only problem was he couldn’t figure out the fractions on a tape measure and would read it off as 120 and 3 ticks for 120 3/16”.

Last edited:
Metric was the worst idea ever. Ask me, I'm a surveyor. Still have to deal with NCDOT plans in metric, and other problems created by the government.

Engineering pocket tapes are hard to find. Spent $25 @ survey supply store because box stores don't carry.

It's funny, I can get along with an architect even though they're stuck on inches. I can convert in my head. Metric requires a calculator. Globalization is for the birds.

Sucks we can't get a cheap tape.

Metric was the worst idea ever. Ask me, I'm a surveyor. Still have to deal with NCDOT plans in metric, and other problems created by the government.

Engineering pocket tapes are hard to find. Spent $25 @ survey supply store because box stores don't carry.

It's funny, I can get along with an architect even though they're stuck on inches. I can convert in my head. Metric requires a calculator. Globalization is for the birds.

Sucks we can't get a cheap tape.

So what do the engineering tapes do? What’s its practical purpose? Is there like an entire subset of people using tenths of an inch that will be like the 3rd party candidate for measurement debates???

I used to have 6" scale that read in 10ths 100ths and flip side was 32nd and 64ths. I miss it still. Nice if you are measuring plans or some such for scaling purposes.
I've got 2 of those in my toolbox

20191230_224128.jpg

Tenths of an inch was used by surveyors when chaining distances before the EDM was invented. Pulling 70' 5 3/4" = 70.48. 2 numbers are easier to remember than 3 and getting accuracy w tenths was good enough. 8ths or 16ths were impossible w one guy pulling on the chain on one end while dropping a blumb bob to mark the point and the other pulling on the other end while both try to make the chain as horizontal as we could.Tenths of an inch is used by the software in data collectors and makes it easier/faster to do computations, translations and make and check/closure and offsets etc. when building layouts in the field from paper blueprints. Adding feet, inches and fractions of inches compounds the measures and leads to errors and more time computing in the field.

I like this tape........
20191230_231004.jpg

Last edited:
I have one of those shirt pocket scales somewhere .....
I'm fine with standard.
Three reasons why we don't go metric.

1-We don't want to
2- we went to the moon using standard when no one using metric has
3-we're too busy crowing about #2

Only others that been to the moon are the Transformers .... and I'll bet they use standard bolts.

If metric is so good, why are all of the rachets in the world 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 drive and no metric drive rachets?

One of my favorite things to do is get a German going on about how great the metric system is and how everything is metric in Germany, then ask them what size wheels are on their car back home ;)

View attachment 309254 View attachment 309255

That would make my life easier. Our modeling software works in decimal inches, but it goes to the ten thousandth or 1/128.

Back