Random Thoughts.....

Should have asked him if he's ever heard of NIST. This is literally one of the things they exist for.

Meanwhile, ive made a career trying to figure out how to calibrate and validate things that have no ground truth standard, like new ways for detecting brain signals.

Well I was actually hoping he was going to say he used a third party...so then I could go down the rabbit hole Of ‘well, how do you know they were calibrated properly’.

And I’m far from a quality/sciencey guy...but that whole validation process is something that still blows my mind. I understand best practice and various models you can follow depending on industry, and it’s about replicating performance. However, to me it’s almost like taxes...some regulatory agency ‘is your process/equipment/sop validated’...well how about you tell me what you want us to do to ensure compliance. ‘Nah...here’s a guideline, write your own process, and we’ll tell you if you’re good’. Ok, I’m not going to handcuff myself, but have to be strict enough to pass your approval process??? ‘Yeah...and we’ll keep coming back until you pass our expectations...unless you fail too many times or have too many outstanding items, then we’ll just chain your doors’.

Validation .......
I work on 7 million dollar printing press designed to print a perfect product.
Still takes a human eye connected to a human brain to decide if what it printed is perfect.

Saturday sucked. Car broke down and I missed class. BUT because I missed class, I got around to getting the firewood that we needed and spent time with my BIL. Since I missed class saturday, I was out of it and had sunday free. Spent some much needed time with the family. As we were sitting around the woodstove just being together, I realized that Ive been spending so much time trying to make better for my family, Ive not taken the time to just be with them.

Saturday sucked. Car broke down and I missed class. BUT because I missed class, I got around to getting the firewood that we needed and spent time with my BIL. Since I missed class saturday, I was out of it and had sunday free. Spent some much needed time with the family. As we were sitting around the woodstove just being together, I realized that Ive been spending so much time trying to make better for my family, Ive not taken the time to just be with them.
What class did you drop?

5115DD99-9427-4287-8A57-038C944BF792.jpeg

I'm here, wondering why my trailer has a non standard height door.. got a storm door to install.. ok 32x80, right? No. 32x75. At least he door I bought is solid at the bottom and can be cut down. :kaioken:
Usually they are only solid for about the bottom 3-4 inches.
I once had to cut one down for a basement closet that was only 6'2' high.
I cut the bottom 6" off, yeilding a big open hollow part. I then took the 3-4" high solid strip out of the lower section, slid it into the door bottom, and glued it in.
Then when I hung the door... realized the handle was weirdly low, lol.

EDIT - your is an exterior door, so yeah... hopefully should be solid, lol.

I'm here, wondering why my trailer has a non standard height door.. got a storm door to install.. ok 32x80, right? No. 32x75. At least he door I bought is solid at the bottom and can be cut down. :kaioken:

I think trailers have their own set of standards. Keeps you on your toes

I think trailers have their own set of standards. Keeps you on your toes
yeah and to top it off, I've got to add material for the storm door frame to mount to because the original storm door frame went around the edge of the door casing and mounted to the framing.. they did it that way to save having to trim the door casing out.

I don't mind letting people use my tools.. I've only got a few simple rules:

Put it back exactly where you got it.
Do not put it back greasy.
Put it back exactly where you got it. If you don't know where it came from, lay it on the bench/top of box.
And do not put it back greasy.

And did I mention, make sure you clean it before it's put back?

Put it back exactly where you got it. If you don't know where it came from, lay it on the bench/top of box.

Easy fix....don't loan tools. My dad and line techs taught me one thing.

If you intend to be a pro....buys the tools needed to be one. Of someone isn't willing to do that they are indeed borrowing your time, material, and services.

If you intend to be a pro....buys the tools needed to be one. Of someone isn't willing to do that they are indeed borrowing your time, material, and services.
yeah.. I get that and I agree. But my wife says I'm too nice. Yes, nice and business don't mix well. Neither do friends and business. (I was actually more talking about my kids using my tools than friends) but yeah, I do let people I call friend use stuff . (far far smaller number than those that call me friend - and very few that call me friend, do I call friend) another one of my too nice problems is allowing people to pick up a vehicle on promise... That's stopped several months back but that doesn't help any the ones that got over on me being "nice". Your only vehicle? Need to get to work to keep your job and make money? Yeah.... That worked out well... But for as many people that made good on their word, the few that did not ruined it for the other 85% that made good on their word.

Can I borrow your 10mm

you can’t have everything, sometimes new equipment requires different tooling.

I’ve borrowed tools, always returned them, if I borrow it twice there will not be a third time as I’ll buy my own, there is a need for that tool.

Not having the basics and borrowing is one thing, somewhat specialized tools quite another

Can I borrow your 10mm

He can't find it

How many you want? I've got a drawer full at the house. I'll put a picture of my tool cart up later.. It's nothing special but it's organized.. if anything's missing, it's totally obvious and I'll look for an hour to find that tool the car ate. And if I do replace a socket/wrench the whole set HAS to match.

I know what you mean about tools, I've spent way too much money on them to let someone borrow them! At the end of the day they all have their place in the box, then they get locked up so they don't grow legs.

A welding helmet is like a pair of underwear, don't ask to borrow it!

Why are there so many people who drive so slow? And why do I always get stuck behind them?!?!?!

Back