Random Thoughts.....

The Bible says make a joyful noise, didnt say it had to be a purty noise.

My daughter was born on 9/11/01. We waited a few weeks to take her to church for her debut. Small, OLD sleepy southern baptist church just up from the house that we had been attending for a few years. The new(ish) Pastor was just a couple of years older than me. And by this time, his wife and my wife had become best friends...so we spent a LOT of time around them.
Most of my family had started going to this church as well, so we had a lot of people wanting to see us and my daughter there for the first time. I sat at the end of the pew on the aisle side, my wife next to me. There was the welcoming, and the hand shaking etc. Then the music stopped, and we knew to take our seat. The pastor sat us down, I took my daughter in my arms and laid her on my lap in the cove my knee made as my left ankle was resting on my right knee. The paster bowed his head, and said "let us pray". Dead silence. Before he uttered the first word my daughter let rip the WETTEST shart in history that echoed thruout the small church and FILLED her diaper :eek:. The pastor giggled and said "make a joyful noise" and everyone started cracking up. My wife turned 3 shades of pink from shear terror and embarrassment. I just sat there :lol:. THAT....was not a "purty" noise :lol: but one I will NEVER forget.

My daughter was born on 9/11/01. We waited a few weeks to take her to church for her debut. Small, OLD sleepy southern baptist church just up from the house that we had been attending for a few years. The new(ish) Pastor was just a couple of years older than me. And by this time, his wife and my wife had become best friends...so we spent a LOT of time around them.
Most of my family had started going to this church as well, so we had a lot of people wanting to see us and my daughter there for the first time. I sat at the end of the pew on the aisle side, my wife next to me. There was the welcoming, and the hand shaking etc. Then the music stopped, and we knew to take our seat. The pastor sat us down, I took my daughter in my arms and laid her on my lap in the cove my knee made as my left ankle was resting on my right knee. The paster bowed his head, and said "let us pray". Dead silence. Before he uttered the first word my daughter let rip the WETTEST shart in history that echoed thruout the small church and FILLED her diaper :eek:. The pastor giggled and said "make a joyful noise" and everyone started cracking up. My wife turned 3 shades of pink from shear terror and embarrassment. I just sat there :lol:. THAT....was not a "purty" noise :lol: but one I will NEVER forget.
Can't believe you would blame that on the baby :p

46511ED2-C0E0-4797-906B-4691006FFA8B.jpeg

What if every nuclear "test" since 1945 was actually a fight against something that either escaped or was alien to Earth? [/conspiracytheory]

What the hell happened to the Charlotte Car show. Spring turn out always seemed to be worse than the fall. Last couple years seems like everything is overpriced junk...‘show cars’ showing rust and dings and wavey paint...vendors handing you a catalog and telling you to order online. I was thinking I was just getting pickier and maybe it always sucked...until I saw this 460 and realized it’s just become a platform for crap, this is laughable pricing at best for a greasy turd. As a business owner, I’d pay $2-300 as a buildable core. As an enthusiast, assuming it’s a runner and I needed something to drop in, I’d pay $6-800. But $2k, that’s used mild stroker territory...

upload_2019-10-18_0-11-17.jpeg

upload_2019-10-18_0-11-43.jpeg

What the hell happened to the Charlotte Car show. Spring turn out always seemed to be worse than the fall. Last couple years seems like everything is overpriced junk...‘show cars’ showing rust and dings and wavey paint...vendors handing you a catalog and telling you to order online. I was thinking I was just getting pickier and maybe it always sucked...until I saw this 460 and realized it’s just become a platform for crap, this is laughable pricing at best for a greasy turd. As a business owner, I’d pay $2-300 as a buildable core. As an enthusiast, assuming it’s a runner and I needed something to drop in, I’d pay $6-800. But $2k, that’s used mild stroker territory...

View attachment 304650

View attachment 304651

A buddy of mine is heading down there tomorrow morning. Maybe I better warn him about your experience.

A buddy of mine is heading down there tomorrow morning. Maybe I better warn him about your experience.

If you’re going there to kill time and make some memories, it’s fine...I’d still probably take my girls there. As far as going as a buyer...I’d say it’s mainly crap. I bring a few grand cash each time I go just to lay on the table as a serious buyer...the last 3 years all I’ve bought is a dual quad cross ram intake for a 383 build, some rear quarter patch panels...and yesterday only bought a torque wrench because it was there and unopened. Much better luck and some legit deals on Facebook marketplace and the Facebook groups as a buyer.

.and yesterday only bought a torque wrench because it was there and unopened.

Here's how that usually goes for me:
  1. Buy used torque wrench
  2. Pay $30-50 to get the calibration checked
  3. Out-of-cal, not worth the repair cost for the price paid
  4. Throw away

Last edited:
  4. Throw away
"Pay $30-50 to get the calibration checked" said no one ever :confused:

4. Throw away

Well I'm just trying to find a conversion chart from ugga duggas to ft/lbs. I know 2 ugga duggas = guttenteit, but I dunno how many guttenteits equals 1 ft/lb.

"Pay $30-50 to get the calibration checked" said no one ever :confused:

So you just have torque wrenches and trust that they are correct? o_O

I got rid of one of my wrenches for work and one for home this year for that reason (out of cal, not too much more to replace instead of repair). All of my work wrenches get cal'd every year, but my home ones only get cal'd every two to three because they get infrequently used. I used to pay less, but the prices went up and the cheaper places are too far away to make sense. It used to be $25-30 each.

Keep in mind, 3 years ago I had a wrench for work that went out of cal after doing >90k torque cycles in 4 years (I did the math when that happened). It didn't owe me anything, and I bought two more identical ones to replace it, and have put the same duty cycle on the new ones for 3 years (but alternate them, so half the cycles). Those are split beam so sometimes going out of cal could be a sign of mechanical fatigue or wear. I don't need to question whether they're in cal or not, I need to know. Being out of cal can create some very, very, very expensive problems.

Torque wrenches are not something I take lightly.... ;)

Last edited:
So you just have torque wrenches and trust that they are correct? o_O

I got rid of one of my wrenches for work and one for home this year for that reason (out of cal, not too much more to replace instead of repair). All of my work wrenches get cal'd every year, but my home ones only get cal'd every two to three because they get infrequently used. I used to pay less, but the prices went up and the cheaper places are too far away to make sense. It used to be $25-30 each.

Keep in mind, 3 years ago I had a wrench for work that went out of cal after doing >90k torque cycles in 4 years (I did the math when that happened). It didn't owe me anything, and I bought two more identical ones to replace it, and have put the same duty cycle on the new ones for 3 years (but alternate them, so half the cycles). Those are split beam so sometimes going out of cal could be a sign of mechanical fatigue or wear. I don't need to question whether they're in cal or not, I need to know. Being out of cal can create some very, very, very expensive problems.

Torque wrenches are not something I take lightly.... ;)
Not saying your wrong, just that you're not right :p

Also, you can self check the calibration pretty quick and easy with a fish scale (of course you better have it calibrated too)

Last edited:
(of course you better have it calibrated tool)

Ah...one of life’s great dilemmas, the eternal vector of calibrating the calibrator. Had an FDA auditor testing our scales with a steel block...have to be accurate out to 4 decimal places. I asked the auditor how they calibrated the steel block...we weigh them. How are you sure your scales are accurate...we put the steel block on them to weigh the block. Wait, what...you’re checking the accuracy of your ‘tool’ with your own tool. They didn’t find near the amount of humor in that exchange that I did.

Ah...one of life’s great dilemmas, the eternal vector of calibrating the calibrator. Had an FDA auditor testing our scales with a steel block...have to be accurate out to 4 decimal places. I asked the auditor how they calibrated the steel block...we weigh them. How are you sure your scales are accurate...we put the steel block on them to weigh the block. Wait, what...you’re checking the accuracy of your ‘tool’ with your own tool. They didn’t find near the amount of humor in that exchange that I did.

I can't relate to this post enough. Since the baby has been out of the hospital, weight gain has been a priority. We go to at least 1 Dr appt a week and he is always weighed when we check in. We have to use the same scale every week because every scale is an ounce or two off and his weight is so borderline that that ounce or two makes a big difference. The only one I truly trust is the one at his general pediatricians. It's an old school balance beam and I'm pretty confident that those little weights they slide back and forth haven't changed between visits.

How are you sure your scales are accurate...we put the steel block on them to weigh the block. Wait, what...you’re checking the accuracy of your ‘tool’ with your own tool.
So how do you know exactly how old that fossil is?

By what layer of earth its uncovered in

How do you know the EXACT age of layer of earth you're uncovering

By what we find in it.

It's science.
In THEORY .......

Torque wrenches are not something I take lightly....

We use torque wrenches several times a day, everyday, where I work,
They need to be correct since they are used on a soft medium. ( rubber )
So we have a comparator (torque checker) bolted to a workbench.
If you think it's that important you need one.
If it's a lab type deal ...CGMP would demand a yearly licensed calibration.
(ours doesn't-we just don't need the rubber working loose)

Last edited:
Should have asked him if he's ever heard of NIST. This is literally one of the things they exist for.

My brother is a metrologist for a GSK plant. They are super particular about having things properly calibrated.

Meanwhile, ive made a career trying to figure out how to calibrate and validate things that have no ground truth standard, like new ways for detecting brain signals.

By what layer of earth its uncovered in

How do you know the EXACT age of layer of earth you're uncovering

By what we find in it.
Thats what radiocarbon dating is for.

Cub scout outing lastnight. They learned making a fire with a flint isn't as easy as it looks, and that a tepee with nothing over it is just a cold pile of sticks haha.
9cd10aeef0ad8b130e1939a6c12e02d3.jpg
59de979a36d8d1ee65565802013879b7.jpg
e8353b5d935b976b45213cc0acf15a8e.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Back