Random pic thread.

This is true. Power company guys put on their hi-viz vests, glasses, and hard hats before going in McDonald's for lunch. Also chock the tires and put road cones around the truck.

Troofth. I had to go on Progress property once to pick up something for a friend. Just one of their maintenance facilities, not a plant or anything big.(Surplus stuff that he got dibs on). Had to have a safety briefing because a forklift was involved. That took longer than backing in and loading. And three people present, but I had to have a guide walking behind me to back the trailer. Some other dumb, but effective stuff to pay attention too....they take it seriously.

Troofth. I had to go on Progress property once to pick up something for a friend. Just one of their maintenance facilities, not a plant or anything big.(Surplus stuff that he got dibs on). Had to have a safety briefing because a forklift was involved. That took longer than backing in and loading. And three people present, but I had to have a guide walking behind me to back the trailer. Some other dumb, but effective stuff to pay attention too....they take it seriously.
Yeah as well as AT&T, you start to live safety vs practicing safety. If you don’t it’s not if you get hurt or killed it’s when you get hurt or killed.

I went to a duke/progress office install desks. Had to have a safety briefing, wear a vest and a hard hat and had a duke supervisor the entire time just stand there and watch us. You know how hard it is to lay under a desk to put it together while trying to keep a hard hat on?

I went to a duke/progress office install desks. Had to have a safety briefing, wear a vest and a hard hat and had a duke supervisor the entire time just stand there and watch us. You know how hard it is to lay under a desk to put it together while trying to keep a hard hat on?
That’s why they make chin straps. They made it mandatory for us to wear a chin strap anytime we had a hard hat on then someone got a neck injury from the strap not being a breakaway style and that was the end of the ole chin strap for us. I’d buy whoever that was a TALL beer for his sacrifice.

I've heard stories about the incorporation meetings. I hate that I wasn't there.

giphy.gif

I went to several meetings, but nothing stands out enough to really remember it. That or the chemo fucked my memory more than I thought o_O. But, like most things in life, the goods delivered haven't matched the sales pitch, and now I'm paying town taxes and receiving absolutely zero benefit from them. So the town can kiss my ass and look for my for sale sign soon.

Duane

But, like most things in life, the goods delivered haven't matched the sales pitch, and now I'm paying town taxes and receiving absolutely zero benefit from them. So the town can kiss my ass and look for my for sale sign soon.

Duane

I have literally never, in my whole life, heard somebody say, "Thank God we got incorporated by the city! I'm so much happier now!"

We have to wear hard hat lanyards a lot.

I have literally never, in my whole life, heard somebody say, "Thank God we got incorporated by the city! I'm so much happier now!"

I am glad the community incorporated as it's own town instead of sitting on its ass until another town grew enough to annex it. And while I'm in the "taxation is theft" camp, at least the robbery wouldn't feel as bad if I was actually getting something in return. As it is I receive zero return on my additional taxes.

Duane

Last edited:
I went to several meetings, but nothing stands out enough to really remember it. That or the chemo fucked my memory more than I thought o_O. But, like most things in life, the goods delivered haven't matched the sales pitch, and now I'm paying town taxes and receiving absolutely zero benefit from them. So the town can kiss my ass and look for my for sale sign soon.

Duane

The story I heard was that there was a choice between either being annexed or incorporating, and people overwhelmingly wanted "none of the above."

The story I heard was that there was a choice between either being annexed or incorporating, and people overwhelmingly wanted "none of the above."

Well it wasn't too overwhelming because it was voted on and passed :lol:. But yes, that was the boogie monster that was touted a lot: either incorporate or get eaten up by Clayton and Wendell. And IIRC at the time Clayton had recently done some annexation that was very opposed but was legal, so the boogie man seemed real. Personally I think the possibility of annexation was legit, but not in my lifetime. So I think that a lot of the yes votes were choosing the lesser evil, because it works so well in all the other elections :rolleyes:.

Duane

My cats collection from the past 24 hrs. He likes to keep them all in one spot.

One chipmunk, one frog, and one bird.

IMG_20200530_071544.jpg

Productive weekend

20200530_152354.jpg

20200530_195235.jpg

Hiked about 3.5 miles today on a trail we had never been on in Burke County. Found this lookout about 600 feet above the Linville River before we turned around. Saw exactly 0 other people on this trail. Afterwards my brother looked it up, we were on the Joe Johnson trail, then Brushy Ridge Trail. We think it would have been another mile to get down to the river.

19B58376-FEF3-425E-8F26-21DBACEA36E0.jpeg

We think we have a skunk living under the deck. I set up the camera the last two nights (don't mind the date, it's not right). Any one got any tips for getting rid of these things. I don't have a trap. Oh and we have a coon getting the trash but that's easy to fix.

IMG_1209.JPG

IMG_1213.JPG

IMG_1214.JPG

Back