Ram experts needed for tow rig input

Post delete I'm consistently getting 21.x mpg empty and 11-12 towing 9k at interstate speeds.
Out of curiousity, what were you getting pre-delete?

I think I am leaning towards a crew cab long bed.....I had a 6.5' bed on my last truck and absolutely hated picking up 8' lumber and using a bed extender. 2500 vs. 3500 might come down to what I find when it's time to pull the trigger, my 2nd gen is a 8800 gvwr truck, and I have no complaints about the ride, although I ride with 40~45psi in my tires, PO had them pumped up to 80 psi and unloaded it was kidney busting and the steering was terrifying when you hit a bump.

My truck is old now, 2006 dodge 2500, but when I bought it new I looked at mega cabs and regular crew cab trucks. I wanted a long bed truck more than the big back seat so I ended up with a crew cab. I keep thinking about buying another new one, but it is hard to think about paying for a new one.

Out of curiousity, what were you getting pre-delete?

I think I am leaning towards a crew cab long bed.....I had a 6.5' bed on my last truck and absolutely hated picking up 8' lumber and using a bed extender. 2500 vs. 3500 might come down to what I find when it's time to pull the trigger, my 2nd gen is a 8800 gvwr truck, and I have no complaints about the ride, although I ride with 40~45psi in my tires, PO had them pumped up to 80 psi and unloaded it was kidney busting and the steering was terrifying when you hit a bump.

Hypothetical Cummins EGR delete questions

Just towed my jeep to gulches. Got 11.5 mpg running 70 mph. Gross combined weight with my jeep and trailer is right at 17k. Not deleted. Can get 20 unloaded if I drive reasonably but I usually run 75. 2500 crew cab with automatic and with 3.42s.

Calculated with fuelly not the lie o meter.

My 2015 2500 quad cab handshaker deleted Dodge/Ram thingie has been a great truck.
Tows a 4500# camper, rig/trailer @ 9k# and has towed a 36' GN @14.5k. Towed each just fine. No complaints with coils in the back. I did add Sumo Spring progressive bump stops.
The 3.42 ratio is a bit steep for the heavier loads (over 12k) on grades, but a regear is always an option.
Post delete I'm consistently getting 21.x mpg empty and 11-12 towing 9k at interstate speeds.
Would do again.

Coils are fine unless you put a heavy slide in. Then it gets a bit sway prone because the coils are so far inboard. I have coils and added aftermarket air bags. Also run a load distributing hitch and it tows like riding in a caddy.

When I got my truck I towed a 06 4runner on an 18ft equipment trailer 700 miles and got around 11 or 12 mpg if I recall. Since going to 4.10s and 37s I average around 17 mpg mixed driving. Haven't towed a whole tank worth of fuel yet so can't say what new towing mileage is yet. Also haven't played with the tunes to see which one is more fuel efficient.

Duane

if you really want to see what’s available search out in Texas.

you weren't kidding, texas definitely has an abundance of G56 equipped cummins rigs. Sadly most seem to be dually and have well over 300k, I was surprised by the amount of 2wd and ranch bumper vehicles out there.

When I got my truck I towed a 06 4runner on an 18ft equipment trailer 700 miles and got around 11 or 12 mpg if I recall. Since going to 4.10s and 37s I average around 17 mpg mixed driving. Haven't towed a whole tank worth of fuel yet so can't say what new towing mileage is yet. Also haven't played with the tunes to see which one is more fuel efficient.

Duane

That is kind of surprising, my 5.7 w/8 speed and 3.92 gears got 10-12mpg towing 10k on a bumper pull, and 17-20 unloaded on the highway....but I imagine where that truck would run out of steam, the cummins will keep pulling like a freight train, and keep getting 10mpg.

My 2018 mega 2500 tows heavy ( around 25k gross) pretty often. 33k miles on it, pure stock right now. I get right at 20mpg back and forth to work running 65mph for about 70 miles one way helps keep the average up. Wasn't a fan of the 3.42 ratio but the 6 speed seems to do just fine with choosing the right gear and I can limit the overdrive with the gear switch thing on the shifter if I want to keep it turning higher. Amazingly quiet and ride is much improved over my 05. I did put bags in the rear, but this truck doesn't seem to squat near as much as my 05 did with the same loads.

Some days I love the mega cab other days I wish it was a long bed. I had a custom gooseneck hitch extension made to put the pin 12" aft so I can turn when pulling the enclosed goose. All in very happy with the late model truck, its light years ahead and plenty of torque makes towing much more enjoyable.

Plus, you didn't have much of a choice when you bought it...so that helped :D It IS a pretty nice truck. I've seent it!

My 2018 mega 2500 tows heavy ( around 25k gross) pretty often. 33k miles on it, pure stock right now. I get right at 20mpg back and forth to work running 65mph for about 70 miles one way helps keep the average up. Wasn't a fan of the 3.42 ratio but the 6 speed seems to do just fine with choosing the right gear and I can limit the overdrive with the gear switch thing on the shifter if I want to keep it turning higher. Amazingly quiet and ride is much improved over my 05. I did put bags in the rear, but this truck doesn't seem to squat near as much as my 05 did with the same loads.

Some days I love the mega cab other days I wish it was a long bed. I had a custom gooseneck hitch extension made to put the pin 12" aft so I can turn when pulling the enclosed goose. All in very happy with the late model truck, its light years ahead and plenty of torque makes towing much more enjoyable.
Thats crazy our 2019 barely gets 10mpg running around empty.
0428200716.jpg

Thats crazy our 2019 barely gets 10mpg running around empty.View attachment 316998
That's crazy low. I get around 10 pulling the boat. The lieometer will say 21+ if I don't do any hauling for a few days. Are you running large tires with the factory Speedo Cal? My 05 5.9 would average 15mpg daily driving. It was stock other than 35's and a winch.

Plus, you didn't have much of a choice when you bought it...so that helped :D It IS a pretty nice truck. I've seent it!

Man that's the truth. Tried hard to get my old rig home, but she just wouldn't do it. I don't know what happened - I'm so easy on my trucks...

That's crazy low. I get around 10 pulling the boat. The lieometer will say 21+ if I don't do any hauling for a few days. Are you running large tires with the factory Speedo Cal? My 05 5.9 would average 15mpg daily driving. It was stock other than 35's and a winch.

Man that's the truth. Tried hard to get my old rig home, but she just wouldn't do it. I don't know what happened - I'm so easy on my trucks...

Factory 225/70r19.5 tires, can't remember if it has 4.10 or 4.44 gears. Truck weighs about 12k empty but I wouldn't have thought it made that big of a difference.

Mine weighs just under 9k. But I wouldn't think 3k on the chassis would cut mileage in half either. Maybe combined with gearing it adds up. Are you pulling a blimp behind you?

Mine weighs just under 9k. But I wouldn't think 3k on the chassis would cut mileage in half either. Maybe combined with gearing it adds up. Are you pulling a blimp behind you?
No blimp. I just thought the 4th gens with def system got crappy mileage. Here is the truck.
19262.jpeg

My Dad's 2017 3500 C&C with flatbed gets around 12mpg empty and about 9mpg pulling their 40ft 5th wheel camper. 100% stock.

Guy at work has a 2018 3500 SRW that he claims gets 22mpg empty on trips, also 100% stock.

As a comparison, my 2016 F250 6.7 CCLB gets maybe 13mpg empty and 11mpg pulling my car trailer.

Are 06 3500 get about 20 mpg on the flats. Roughly 16-18 mpg in the hills. Towing 13-16 roughly 20ft goose 7k on the deck. Mild tune 4:11 gears 4x4 tyres upgraded to 19.5 but still stock height. 97 Ram 2wd stock about 18 mpg towing 13-16 maybe 18' enclosed.

Back