Ram 1500 ecodiesel

rockman

Evening, I'm looking to replace my F-150 with a Ram 1500 and have been reading up on the 3.0 diesel. Anyone have any experience with that motor? It look like its available in the range I'm looking into.

thanks, Bill

My mom has one in her 2016 Grand Cherokee. It's decent for an SUV motor bit underpowered for a truck. And the FCA emissions fix only made it worse. Dead throttle, excess DEF consumption, turbo lag, decreased fuel economy, etc.

BUT I wouldnt hesitate to buy one. If it were mine, it would have a tune on it and be much more reliable with plenty of power for a commuter truck that occasionally tows a few thousand pounds. It would also be a Rambox bed and Longhorn interior with real leather, but not the version with all the filigree crap.

My mom has one in her 2016 Grand Cherokee. It's decent for an SUV motor bit underpowered for a truck. And the FCA emissions fix only made it worse. Dead throttle, excess DEF consumption, turbo lag, decreased fuel economy, etc.

BUT I wouldnt hesitate to buy one. If it were mine, it would have a tune on it and be much more reliable with plenty of power for a commuter truck that occasionally tows a few thousand pounds. It would also be a Rambox bed and Longhorn interior with real leather, but not the version with all the filigree crap.
My former Master Mechanic, now car dealer, said he wouldn't have one, though he says that about most New stuff. Don't remember his exact quotes, but it was something about the history of the engine maker, some of the systems used on it, & excessive under hood heat. When you read Four Wheeler's "Test" drive on one, it's the Greatest thing ever! But too, Most their reviews are the same on every vehicle.

I have a 2015 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel and really like it. It's tows soldily and I haven't experienced the lag that others speak of after the recall remediations. Mileage is in the low to mid 20s for combined city/highway and I've seen 27/28 on long highway trips. Pretty quiet for what it is. I believe the tow rating is about 9800 lbs which is plenty for anything I tow.

that is some pretty awesome mpg! X2 with the rambox option, I wouldn't consider buying another Ram that didn't have it.

I seem to remember hearing about a cam sprocket issue on the first gen of this motor, but I haven't heard anything about it since, if shopping for a new 1500 diesel, this would be your best bet, as it is already in its 3rd generation where the other two options are still Gen 1.

that is some pretty awesome mpg! X2 with the rambox option, I wouldn't consider buying another Ram that didn't have it.

I seem to remember hearing about a cam sprocket issue on the first gen of this motor, but I haven't heard anything about it since, if shopping for a new 1500 diesel, this would be your best bet, as it is already in its 3rd generation where the other two options are still Gen 1.

And the 3.0 FPT is an older motor. It well pre-dates the ram option.
FPT was IVECO which was Case/NewHolland/Ford Diesel/International etc.

Then you need to look into consolidated diesel which is a whole other story unto itself of a JV gone right, and then wrong, and then right again.... and you will find the the 3.0 shares a lot of lineage with the Cummins A series

Back